Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #1

Share |

tile grout in shower

my contractor used kerakolor u unsanded grout in the shower the color is mocha when it dried it completely changed colors to a bone color and in some places almost white can anyone tell me why

wvgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #2

tile grout in shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvgreg View Post
my contractor used kerakolor u unsanded grout in the shower the color is mocha when it dried it completely changed colors to a bone color and in some places almost white can anyone tell me why
What did he mix it with? Was it water or a latex additive? It's possible it was too loose a mixture or too much water was used to clean the tile.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #3

tile grout in shower

he mixed it with water and then i noticed on the 12" tiles the grout was really heavy on them and they used probably ten buckets of water for clean up.
wvgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #4

tile grout in shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvgreg View Post
he mixed it with water and then i noticed on the 12" tiles the grout was really heavy on them and they used probably ten buckets of water for clean up.
It sounds like the grout was contaminated by too much water, too soon after it was put in.
The extra grout should have been scraped off as part of the installation process through the competant use of a grout float. The slight residue could easily have been removed with a damp sponge after the grout had a chance to set awhile.
If this installation is very recent you should be able to remove the top layer of grout down 1/8" and reapply it again, correctly. An older installation will be more difficult to repair as it can also damage the tile edges unless you're very careful.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote