Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #1

Share |

Tile Gap problem

I am tiling my bathroom floor and the problem I am running into is I am getting a gap between my tile and the bathtub when the tile is layed to fit perfectly. I attached a illustration to show what i am talking about. I dont' know how to fix this problem so everything will lie with equal spacing. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Tile Gap problem-tileadvice.jpg  

trueform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #2

Tile Gap problem

So you're having trouble matching the contour of the tub to the edge of the floor (cutting the tile)? Or are you wondering what to do with the gap between the straight edge of the tub and the straight edge of the tile?

That joint can be grouted and then caulked or just simply caulked.

Try to explain the problem a little better if you can...

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #3

Tile Gap problem

Well the front of the bathtub looks straight. But I think it bows a little. I cut the tile in half so that the halfs go up to the tub. the problem is that in order for the tiles that go after the ones that I cut in half to perfectly fit i had to come off the tub about a quarter of an inch to a half inch away. That way I would have a straight line to work off of. In the picture you can see that the tiles that are cut in half don't touch the middle part of the tube and leaves a space too big. So it would be too large of a grout line or a caulk line. I hope that explains a little more.
trueform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
Tileguy

Tile Gap problem

So........

Cut the tiles to fit the individual tile spaces. Each tile may be a little different. No big deal it's done all the time.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #5

Tile Gap problem

Bud's totally right. The tiles need to be cut individually to compensate for the curvature of the tub. That way the gap between the tile and tub stays fairly consistent from tile to tile. No way to do that with all the tiles cut the same size. If you've already cut them, you've got a decision to make...Either leave the gap the way it is or toss a few of them and cut some new ones slightly larger than halves.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
Licensed Contractor

Tile Gap problem

On a few bathroom remodels, where the tile didn't get touched, but the tub replaced, I will have an irregular gap as well. As replacing the floor might not be in the budget, I use a white PVC quarter round adhered to the floor and tub. It's flexible enough to conform to both shapes, and covers the gap. If the gap is big enough, I'll mix a small batch of matching grout and fill it up.
Just another idea to confuse the issue.

Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote