Is There A Difference In Blow In Insulations? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2010, 11:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

is there a difference in blow in insulations?

I just checked the prices at HD: OC near $30 Green near $9 I'm pulling all the usable loose insulation from the rear of the house and using it in the front. After I'm done, I'll buy new for the rear. What's could be the difference to justify 3x the price?

Advertisement

KarlJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

You'll have to get some kind of specs sheet on each product, whatever it is you are referring to. Material it is made from, density, etc, then compare the consistency. Often, cheap is real spendy in the long run.

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

the green stuff, cellulose (basically shredded paper) has a tendency to compact more over time than the pink, which is fiberglass. Being paper based, its also more prone to soaking up any available moisture, I believe.

That being said, I just used the green stuff in that attic of my back house. But that structure is living on borrowed time, so I'm less worried about the long term than the $$.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

That must be the stuff that I have in there now, I just moved most of the back 1/2 of the house insulation over to the front of the house. It was compacted more towards the edges. Use a long pole/blade to move it into place and 'puff up' what was there, now it overflows the 8" beams. I think I'll just use the same stuff to do the back 1/2 after I'm done.
Thanks, KarlJay.
KarlJay is offline   Reply With Quote