Thats Just ROTTEN. - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Thats Just ROTTEN.

New to this site, I spent more time reading the forums than actually doing work but things (problem/surprises) have "started"...

I bought a one level ranch with an unfinished basement in 2008 and have found some rot on the rim joist and soleplate at the top of the basement wall.

The rim joist and sil plate are about 2 inches from soil atop the basement wall.

I have attached a few pics to show the damage.

Any suggestions on tackling this would be greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Thats Just ROTTEN.-recent-2009-pictures-060.jpg   Thats Just ROTTEN.-recent-2009-pictures-061.jpg   Thats Just ROTTEN.-recent-2009-pictures-063.jpg   Thats Just ROTTEN.-recent-2009-pictures-064.jpg   Thats Just ROTTEN.-recent-2009-pictures-065.jpg  

Advertisement

frankie_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 526

Thats Just ROTTEN.

First observation, first pic,,is that concrete outside the rim joist?step area??

second, last pic,,,hope that is a mouse nest?? or insulation?

third, I notice ALL the nails coming thru the rim joist areas are turning black and nails rusted. Do these nails hold the siding on? Can they be leakig water back to this rim joist? What type of siding? blind nailed or surface nailed? what condition is your siding in?? "ANY" way your siding is leaking up higher,like a window penetration etc, that water is running down from??

It does look like you 'need' to replace your rim joist,,whats the long term,short term plan on what siding IS on outside. Is it leaking cold air in these spots?? Any way to 'landscape' down,,,lower dirt around still sloped out,,,2" isnt alot of room, rain can splash up that high and snow can pile that high for sure.(well maybe not in southern Florida,lol)

Advertisement

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #3

Thats Just ROTTEN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
First observation, first pic,,is that concrete outside the rim joist?step area??

second, last pic,,,hope that is a mouse nest?? or insulation?

third, I notice ALL the nails coming thru the rim joist areas are turning black and nails rusted. Do these nails hold the siding on? Can they be leakig water back to this rim joist? What type of siding? blind nailed or surface nailed? what condition is your siding in?? "ANY" way your siding is leaking up higher,like a window penetration etc, that water is running down from??

It does look like you 'need' to replace your rim joist,,whats the long term,short term plan on what siding IS on outside. Is it leaking cold air in these spots?? Any way to 'landscape' down,,,lower dirt around still sloped out,,,2" isnt alot of room, rain can splash up that high and snow can pile that high for sure.(well maybe not in southern Florida,lol)
Thanks for answering my post dude!

Haha! Insulation...

I'm not sure about how the siding is attached, maybe you could tell by the pics I just snapped.

Windows DO need to be replaced... (springtime fun.)

no real way to grade that area since they (previous owners) built a 2 car garage directly in front of the suspected area.

I'm thinking I could pry off the trim around the poured concrete walkway toward the side entrance of the garage depicted in the photos to get behind the siding and ultimately expose the rotted rim...

What do you think....
Attached Thumbnails
Thats Just ROTTEN.-photo-1-001.jpg   Thats Just ROTTEN.-photo-1-002.jpg   Thats Just ROTTEN.-photo-1-003.jpg   Thats Just ROTTEN.-photo-1-004.jpg   Thats Just ROTTEN.-photo-1-005.jpg  

Old 02-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #4

Thats Just ROTTEN.

anyone? Help?
Old 02-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Thats Just ROTTEN.

yup thats what you gotta do
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #6

Thats Just ROTTEN.

Yeah I figured ...springtime where are you?

Advertisement