Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2007, 02:45 PM   #1

Share |

Texture coming off of ceilings

I purchased a house a month ago which had popcorn ceilings. Before I moved in I hired someone to scrape the popcorn off the ceilings, retexture and paint the ceilings. The other day I started to paint the inside of my house and put the blue painters tape up on the ceiling. When I pulled off the tape, some of the texture stuck to the tape. I then went to other areas or the house, put the painter's tape on the ceiling, pulled the tape off and the texture stuck to the tape. Does anyone know why I'm experiencing this problem. I called the contractor that I hired and he said that he would fix the area's where the texture has come off, but my concern is that the texture will eventually start flaking from the ceiling. Please help.

mrswoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Hi there, welcome to the forums
First thing is you really shouldn't be using tape on the popcorn ceiling
Second thing is it really needs a month to make sure it's fully cured and secure

So, I can't really tell if it's a bad job texturing or not

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #3

Hi there. Thank you for your reply. Actually we no longer have the popcorn on the ceiling, just a texture that matches the wall. It's been 7 weeks since the work was done on the ceilings and now want to paint the walls. I figured to get a straight line when painting the wall (and not get paint on the ceiling), I would use the blue painters tape. I'll give the ceilings more time to cure and hopefully won't have flakey texture falling from my ceilings in the near future. Thanks again...
Old 08-15-2007, 04:39 PM   #4
Paint Store Dude

Hi,
If I would have to make a guess it would be for improper surface prep before the texture was applied. Depending how the ceiling was scraped and if they used any solvents/soaps/cleaners could have a big effect. Also, was the ceiling primed before the texture was applied? Primer is very very important as it gives the texture {joint compound, I'm guessing} something to attach on to. 7 weeks out from completion should be more than plenty for any texture to cure except for maybe plaster which I think needs like 4-5 months to fully set before painting.
Chuck
Chazbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

7 weeks is plenty of time
The tape should not be pulling the texture off
I'd suggest expressing your concerns to the contractor
Old 08-15-2007, 05:15 PM   #6

Hi, I contacted my contractor and told him about the tape pulling off the texture. He said that that should not happen because he did use primer and he also mentioned that maybe the tape that I bought was bad. I then bought a second roll of tape and am experiencing the same problem. The contractor said that he would patch up the areas where texture has come off. Do you think that down the road more texture will start flaking from the ceilings if it wasn't primed good before he put up the texture? I have put the tape in different area's of the ceiling. Some area's only bit's and pieces come off, but other area's, the whole strip of textures come off on the tape.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:41 AM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp

If I could put my eyes and hands on it, perhaps I could say what is going on
There are many reason the texture could be pulling off with blue tape
(None of them are the tape's fault though...that's a new one for me)

Improper prep, contamination, not dusting, ceiling paint releasing the texture (wrong paint, too soon...etc...), poor paint....poor texture mixture....the primer issues....
There's no way to tell from here

But bottom line is, IMO, it shouldn't be doing that at this point

Did the painter offer a warranty?

Although I can't tell you why it's doing that, I can tell you what I'd do
As this is really a DIY site, I'll spell it out in case someone reading this has the same type of problem
Seal it with a penetrating sealer for problem flaky areas (Zinsser's "Gardz"), and repaint with a quality ceiling paint (I prefer Ben Moore's Muresco, but Sherwin Williams has a good one too)
That would fix the problem...well, if it's so bad that that doesn't fix it, then best to find out now rather than later
Old 08-16-2007, 07:42 AM   #8
Project Woman

Now, I'm not saying this is what has happened, BUT, the contractor may be dancing. Primer should have done the trick. You might inquire as to which brand of primer was used, as you "really need to let the company know about the failing of their product." Well, you will get a better clue as to whether he is just dancing when watching his response. Yep, the texture should adhere and 7 weeks is plenty of curing time.

Eva Wild is offline   Reply With Quote