Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #1

Share |

terrible windows

our contract stated that we would not get anderson windows, we knew that, but our contractor had us select from a pella catalog, we chose a double-casement with an arch at the top, the arch was part of the opening windows, 2 total pieces of glass......the windows they delivered 5 weeks later, are basically a double casement with a half-moon glued to the top.....3 pieces of glass, very little total glass, alot of framing everywhere. they, and the mfgr each say the windows are not returnable.

i dont want these windows, i offered to go get the right windows and take care of the framing myself, to save time.......shouldn't they be responsible for the bad windows?

mt232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

terrible windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt232 View Post
our contract stated that we would not get anderson windows, we knew that, but our contractor had us select from a pella catalog, we chose a double-casement with an arch at the top, the arch was part of the opening windows, 2 total pieces of glass......the windows they delivered 5 weeks later, are basically a double casement with a half-moon glued to the top.....3 pieces of glass, very little total glass, alot of framing everywhere. they, and the mfgr each say the windows are not returnable.

i dont want these windows, i offered to go get the right windows and take care of the framing myself, to save time.......shouldn't they be responsible for the bad windows?
That all depends on everyone's definition of 'bad windows'. Windows are often ordered as one piece units for ease of installation.
Generally, we work out every last detail with a customer prior to ordering any custom sized windows, since they are non-returnable.

I have to go down to a job to 'triple check' the measurements on all the replacemnt windows this week, for that reason.

There are more questions to be asked....like how detailed was the discussion that you had with your contractor in regards to the design and manufacturing layout of the windows? etc....

(FWIW - We usually include a Pella Sales rep when ordering their windows. They know everything there is to know about their product prior to the ordering)

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #3

terrible windows

If you selected windows from a catalog and they're not the ones that were delivered, what's the problem?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:19 PM   #4

terrible windows

'Fhivinylwindows' will probably be along at some point and be able to offer his thoughts on the matter....
Old 04-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #5

terrible windows

Atlantic,
This seems like it's an issue the GC should handle. From the description, the customer ordered a specific window from a catalog. Different windows showed up. Shouldn't the customer get what they picked?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #6

terrible windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer_geek View Post
Atlantic,
This seems like it's an issue the GC should handle. From the description, the customer ordered a specific window from a catalog. Different windows showed up. Shouldn't the customer get what they picked?
This is one of those things where the trail of the ordering procedure has to be followed.
We have been thru similar issues....and it turned out to be the person at the supply company who phoned the order in. We had the sales receipt to figure out what was originally ordered, was not what was transferred verbally by phone.

So, again, there is a trail to follow, questions to ask, people to talk to, etc...... in terms of figuring things out.... in order to see, who is ultimitely going to pick up the tab for this...
Old 04-09-2007, 08:23 AM   #7

terrible windows

Well they agreed to take them back....they said "because they don't have a choice"
Old 04-09-2007, 08:45 AM   #8

terrible windows

Quote:
Well they agreed to take them back....they said "because they don't have a choice"
Well, Hopefully you will get your windows in at some point...

Good Luck
Old 04-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #9

terrible windows

We agreed, and I bought and installed them myself Saturday to avoid further delays.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:46 AM   #10

terrible windows

Quote:

What you wanted was true French Casement Windows- what you received was a twin casement with a circle top window, you should always review your paper work and or written agreement. Not sure if Pella Offers True French Casements, Marvin does, Andersen KML does, Kolbe Kolbe does, I'm sure Pella has True French Casments- must have been a mis understanding-you will have too live with...unless you have paper work that spells out what you ordered... plus true french casements are almost twice the money as twins with circle tops, that should have been your first clue... approx $1800 to $2400 or more for true french depending on brand, options, etc.. If you have time check the window blogs about Pella Rotting Windows and there class action law suit that is pending- not saying your windows will rott but pay close attension to your windows and contact a lawyer if they start to rott from the inside out-
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:37 AM   #11

terrible windows

FWIW - The orignal post is about 1 year and 8 months old.