Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #1

Share |

Temporary One Winter Season Heating Fix

Hi,

We just bought our first home this summer, and it is a 1950's semi-detached home. It has been "sort of" gut renovated - in that it looks like a total gut renovation, however as we've spent the last few months in it - we have definitely noticed a lot of things that point towards the renovators having skipped corners in a lot of areas.

That noted - our current problem: In the back of the house, there is a one room addition that has an inaccessible crawlspace. We are pretty sure now that the weather has got cold - and this room is never any warmer than the temperature outside - that even though they pulled the floors, re-did the walls, re-did the roof and ran ductwork from the furnace into this room - they never bothered to insulate it properly - either the crawlspace itself - or the ductwork if they left it as a cold zone.

Our inspector just marked it as inaccessible and didn't give us any information on it or what could be possible situations that might arise come winter - so only through reading lots of stuff online - I've been able to make a somewhat educated guess.

That all said - due to other needed repairs, problems - there is no way that we can afford to have the crawlspace or insulation situation looked at before next summer and was wondering if anyone had any solutions or ideas that work best for heating/maintaining heat in these old additions that we could temporarily use until we have the money to re-do the crawlspace area properly (either create access to insulate, or pull up the floors - insulate - and replace floors).

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

(We're also looking as some sort of temporary fix for around the hole from the basement to the crawlspace that the duct line was shoved through - only enough space for a hand/arm around the duct is evident - to prevent the cold air from the crawlspace seeping into the basement.)

Thanks!!

Geminitm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
DIY'er

I have a house built in 45, and it has what looks like a closed off add on of the back porch. I looks like to they built a roof and walls hung a door and windows and used it as a utility room. It gets cold in winter hot in summer, i have no CHA. I have tried to seal off that room the best I could, but I did find if I take once of those sealed oil heaters and turn it on it will keep the room decent, unless it dips into the 20's or teens then it can't keep up. You could for the time being get one of those for about 40 bucks and out it in there to help keep it warm.

If you can get into the crawl space yourself and have a look around down there and see what you can see, My crawlspace I can just about sit up is how high mine is.

If you want that duct work sealed off go to a home improvement store or even walmart, and look for some stuff called great stuff. Its expanding foam, spray it around there it will expand and close that space off around the duct. DO NOT get it on anything you want to save, clothes hair, it will not come off once its set.

edit: just re read you want a temp fix for that duct, see if you can find some extra insulation or batting and stuff it in there if need be it can be removed, or stuff it with that and then duct tape around it to seal it off more.

Last edited by dirtrider73068; 11-08-2010 at 08:16 PM.
dirtrider73068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #3

Set up a portable, oil filled radiator type heater for the space. Cut foamboard or stuff fiberglass insulation in the gaps around the ductwork.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
DIY'er

Yea I think those oil filled heaters work great. When I had problems with my floor furnace till I got my little wall unit I used them in each of the rooms and they kept the place nice, and I have no insulation in my house, well I tiny bit in the attic.
dirtrider73068 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crawlspace, heating, insulation basement