Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #1

Share |

tar paper

My son-in-law replaced the white cedar shingles on the side of my house. But neglected to put tar paper first. He put the shingles directly on the plywood. He said it would be fine. But I have doubts about this. Should it be redone?

rsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #2

tar paper

Putting the shingles on the house without first putting up a moisture barrier such as felt paper is ill-advised. I believe I'd be re-doing it.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Custom Cabinet Maker

tar paper

I agree with KC that paper is very important, must be there. It serves as a moisture barrier to protect the sheathing/plywood. Shakes will shrink when dry and expand when wet, there is a possibility that rain can get behind them and therefore the reason for the paper. Also remember to put the paper on in the proper fashion,run UP from the bottom and overlap the lower sheet with the next higher one.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #4

tar paper

Thanks guys ,that is the answer I thought I was going to get.I'm a little short on money right now. How long do you think I can let this go before I fix it?
Old 09-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #5

tar paper

How much rain do you think you'll get? Pretty hard to answer that question. Personally, I'd make it a priority. I also wouldn't let your son in law do it when you are ready to do it!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #6

tar paper

We have had a lot of rain already. Don't worry my son-in-law won't be doing much around here anymore.