DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

tap into washing machine water line

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  tylernt 
#1 ·
Hey all, I have a quick question. It sounds reasonable to me but I want to check with the experts first :thumbup:

I may be investing in a plumbable espresso machine that also has a drain.
There will also be a water filter + softener in the line, and obviously requires some minor plumbing on my part.

I first thought that I would just pierce into some cold water pipe with an ice-machine kit, but then realized the washer is RIGHT behind the wall where the espresso machine will sit. Does it sound reasonable to you all to splice into the cold water line at the washer to feed the espresso machine?

Also, I was thinking I could even drain to the washer, but on second thought the drain inlet may be too high up to allow for this. I may end up draining into the crawlspace "well" using pvc unless anyone has a suggestion for this.

And just one final question about aesthetics. I know if I were to install a water inlet for a washing machine they have the nice recessed cold/hot water + drain setups. (http://bit.ly/TTpxGN). Is there something like this that I could use for my purposes? I'm a bit hesitant to set up the water line like a toilet would be set up.

Thanks for any suggestions!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I think draining the espresso machine to the washer drain would technically be a code violation. What is a "crawl space well?" Do you mean a drainage sump? If so, that would probably be a good option.

The "recessed setup" is called a laundry box. There is something similar that is used for the water shutoff to a refrigerator's ice maker. As for piercing into a cold water pipe, you should install a tee instead of using a saddle valve. While you can still buy them, I think they are no longer allowed by code. Even if they are, I wouldn't use one - they are notorious for leaking. And if you close one too tightly, the "piercer" can come loose from the handle when you try to open it.

#4 ·
Thanks I think I'll avoid the washer drain then. I called it a crawl space well because it seems more like a bottomless black hole than a sump :laughing:

I definitely would like to avoid the saddles as they seem quite unreliable for sure. I've just never had to add a tee to existing copper pipe before and it seems like there might be a learning curve for something like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.