Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2008, 07:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to zollander10

Tankless Water Heaters

Hi everybody my name is chris and i work for a tankless water heater company.
A tankless system can reduce energy cost up to 70% on your water heating bill.
How this is accomplished is that it has an electrig ignite not a pilot that uses gas. The second way it saves money is that it only runs when you need hot water.
If you have any questions about tankless let me know and if i cant answer your questions i will forward you to some one who can.

zollander10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
jttexas

Rewards Points: 10

Tankless Water Heaters

With a tankless water heater, I'm assuming you still have a wait for hot water while the water currently in the system vacates - is that accurate.

Thanks

jtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Rewards Points: 250

Tankless Water Heaters

I used to have a tankless system. Paloma. It had a pilot light instead of the electric ignition, and the hot water was almost instantaneous. I do't recall ever having to wait for hot water. And it was much hotter than any water heater. So much so that it didn't cool off traveling through the pipes till they were hot. Only two of us in the house and a 20 pound propane tank would last us three months on average.
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tankless Water Heaters

That is true, unless a recirculating pump is installed.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tankless Water Heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by zollander10 View Post
Hi everybody my name is chris and i work for a tankless water heater company.
A tankless system can reduce energy cost up to 70% on your water heating bill.
How this is accomplished is that it has an electrig ignite not a pilot that uses gas. The second way it saves money is that it only runs when you need hot water.
If you have any questions about tankless let me know and if i cant answer your questions i will forward you to some one who can.
Hi, Chris. . .

Since you bring up the subject:

In Germany they were powered by electricity. The very visible wall unit clicked a lot as the controller was trying to keep up with demand, and you had to time your actions in the shower to avoid the alternating hot/cold water. In four weeks I still could not avoid getting cold water occasionally. There didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason between the clicks and how hot the water would be. I happened to meet a plumber, and through a translator, he really couldn't explain it either.

I guess with more sophisticated controllers that anticipate demand the thing would figure out what you were doing (filling a coffee pot, taking a shower, filling a washing machine) and alter their program accordingly.
Do your units do this?

If the heater is 10' from your shower through the pipes, you can expect 10' of cold water on your head no matter how sophisticated the thing is, but that is also true of tank heaters.

Up to 70% sounds good; how soon, on average, does the unit pay for itself in energy savings?

Last edited by Yoyizit; 07-27-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote