Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #1

Share |

Taking your tools with you?

I find myself at least two days a week loading up a ton of my tools to do work somewhere other than home -- mission trip, elderly relatives, church, friends, etc. When I say a "ton", I mean it. I take on some pretty big projects. I have one jobsite chest packed full of portable power tools, hand tools, etc. Then have to load out stuff like portable table saw, compound miter saw, saw horses, air compressor, ladders, etc. It's usually not a problem to load the stuff, but takes time -- I often spend a couple of hours loading up on a Friday, then unloading again at the end of the weekend.

I've been thinking about buying an enclosed trailer and leaving everything loaded, but that's really not a good option for me right now for several reasons. BUT if you have a great trailer setup, post it up, I would like to see some ideas.

So, how do you guys handle loading/unloading/carrying all your stuff when you work away from home? I probably carry as much as a full-time pro remodeler, but need the truck empty during the week for my real job.
ranger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #2

It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to load anything and everything you mentioned in to your truck.
rubberhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberhead View Post
It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to load anything and everything you mentioned in to your truck.
Yep, it "shouldn't". But by the time I get the forktruck running to set the jobox in, get my trailer hooked up (10' utility or 24' GN, depending), and tote everything out of the shop, I've blown a good hour. And really, I left off a crapload of stuff in the list. Usually the truck is loaded down worse than Sanford and Sons.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #4

Build a box that fits one of your trailers. Put your tools in it. Make it so you can drop it at the jobsite you are working at and lock it up, then you can also load it on the trailer. I was thinking about this just before I quit contracting. I was thinking of something like a cargo trailer with a removable box.

Build a torsion box floor, 3/6 ply 'joists' with 3/8 ply top and 1/4 ply bottom, fill with Styrofoam, glue everything.
Walls would be 1.5 or 2" styro with panelling inside and 1/4 ply outside (or recently been reading about using canvas over styro)
Roof depends partly on walls but 1.5 or 2" styro with panelling or canvas.

Fast unloading would be a jack on all 4 corners that can handle the weight of it loaded. Or could jack each corner separately and have a rod and pin system. Basically like a truck camper.
This only works if the majority of your tools stay at one job. If they bounce from job to job they you got to load and unload.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #5

Hmmmm. I like that. Kind of like the "Pods" storage units.

My gooseneck has a winch. Maybe something on skids.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #6

If you can skid it off and on smoothly that might work.

For me I was thinking of adding a small cube heater for winter.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
Learning Things Every Day

What kind of truck? Or is your user name telling me the answer?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay 78
What kind of truck? Or is your user name telling me the answer?
F350 dually cc
Old 02-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger12 View Post
.....I've been thinking about buying an enclosed trailer and leaving everything loaded......BUT if you have a great trailer setup, post it up, I would like to see some ideas.

So, how do you guys handle loading/unloading/carrying all your stuff......
Here are some pics from about 4 years ago of one of our trailers (this one did not stay this way too long, due to my workers.....)

Also - Truck Bed Slide-Out:
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtlanticWBConst. For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #10

Labeled tote boxes with lids. Cheap, easy to carry, slide into the vehicle easy, organized, look neat on the job, easy unload and back in your place on Monday morning.
MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #11

Sliding a Pod on and off would cause shifting for tools and anything else inside. I think it needs to be lifted up and down somewhat evenly.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #12

Loaded up for the weekend today after lunch. 58 minutes start to finish. Stopped by one of my client shops just now and ran it across the truck scales. 3120 pounds of tools and equipment over my base weight.

I am going to stop by a trailer place on my way to mom's place this afternoon and check out the enclosed box trailers.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
Love for Construction

3120 lbs of tools!?! I honestly don't think you can get enough accomplished in a weekend to warrant taking every tool to have. Are you really efficient enough to need grade site prep, concrete, framing, electrical, plumbing, hvac, drywall, flooring, finish carpentry, painting, tiling, etc. tools all in one weekend. It sounds like organization is your problem you should be splitting your tools up so you only load the set of tools for the job at hand. 3120 lbs seriously!?!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #14

Sorry I did not realize you "need" so much.
If you want all that for every weekend or day job you should get an enclosed trailer.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by <*(((>< View Post
3120 lbs of tools!?! I honestly don't think you can get enough accomplished in a weekend to warrant taking every tool to have. Are you really efficient enough to need grade site prep, concrete, framing, electrical, plumbing, hvac, drywall, flooring, finish carpentry, painting, tiling, etc. tools all in one weekend. It sounds like organization is your problem you should be splitting your tools up so you only load the set of tools for the job at hand. 3120 lbs seriously!?!
Seriously! 3 of us working this weekend. I'm getting in about 4 hours tonight, will get at least 16 in tomorrow, and maybe 12 or so on sunday before driving home. Installing new cabinets, including building an island, back in the kitchen this weekend, getting some plumbing back in, starting on flooring.