Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:28 AM   #1

Share |

Swimming Pool Water

Hi all!! I was wondering if anyone has any experience filling a 26,000 gallon swimming pool with their well. Would this cause any problems? Im having a hard time finding someone who will deliver pool water to me due to my location and them not being able to get enough hose back to my property. Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance for your time!!!
-Andy

pilotandy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #2

Swimming Pool Water

Besides this being a slow process, here wil what will need to be done:

Cycle the run times on and off. You do not want to run the well pump for a day or so straight through or you may burn it out.. Go for maybe 5 hr's, then off 1 hr.

Once the pool if full DO NOT add any chamical's until th water is tested. Chances are that the iron will be high. If ou add chlorine to iron you will get all sort's of different color water (purple, brown, green, etc....). Have the water tested first for iron content and then remove that with the proper chemical's prior to adding any standard maintenece chemical's.

Once it is full AND all the mineral's are removed, you are good to go. Keep an eye on it though as each time you need to "top off" you may need to add mineral remover.

dcd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
Agent 000

Swimming Pool Water

Hi PilotAndy72! Welcome to the forum.

First, we need a bit more information. Do you have the paperwork that came with your well pump install? It would be nice to know the following;
  • Static water level (feet)
  • Depth (feet)
  • Yield (gpm)
  • Pump displacement (gpm)
  • Tank size (gallons)
There is risk involved here. You cannot turn on the hose and walk away as you could easily bleed your well dry and possibly the aquifer. Secondly, there will be wear and tear on your pump based on the number of cycles that you're going to put it through. The submersable pumps aren't rated for full time duty either. To remove all doubt about this, the best thing to do is have a pump/drilling professional perform a pressure and recovery test. This would determine the recovery time vs the amount of water available for a given interval. You could then set a filling schedule. And thirdly, lets hope that your area is not suffering from any type of drought situation. If you have a nearby creek or stream it sure would be nice to be able to draw from that instead of your well. With all that being said, I'm going to throw some hypothetical numbers at you;

Lets assume that you can run your pump for 2 hour intervals, 3 times a day. Let's say that you can get 4 gallons/minute from the pump. Based on those numbers we can acquire 1440 gallons per day, which means it'll take about 18 days to fill up a 26,000 gallon pool. And those are very optimistic numbers IMO. Anyway, that's a little something to think about and perhaps someone else will chime in with some additional information.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:08 PM   #4
Eibwen

Swimming Pool Water

I would be wary of the well fill in your pool for both the potential problems with the well mechanics as far as the motor etc, and the water content.
A tanker of water would probably be better. Maybe the local fire station could assist? I have tried using a well on a 17K before and it took a while to get the water cleaned up.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:04 AM   #5

Swimming Pool Water

Hello again!! Thanks for all your information!! Luck came my way yesterday and I finally found someone with a smaller 5000 gallon water truck that would do the job and be able to access the property. Thanks again to all who posted!!
-Andy
pilotandy72 is offline   Reply With Quote