Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #1

Share |

Suspended Ceiling

I'm tying to schedule a commercial building, and wondering what is installed before suspended ceiling tile? Are the return vents installed and are all lighting installed before the ceiling tile goes in?

Thanks

rjhman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Suspended Ceiling

The duct work is installed first. As is any sprinkler pipes. The electrical home runs may be installed first also but lighting is installed after the track and before the tiles are placed.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Suspended Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhman1 View Post
I'm tying to schedule a commercial building, and wondering what is installed before suspended ceiling tile? Are the return vents installed and are all lighting installed before the ceiling tile goes in?

Thanks

EVERYTHING or the electricians will shoot you.

Everything you can get in before the grid goes up helps speed the installation of all of those systems and saves damage of the grid.

the tiles should be the last thing to go in both to allow the other work to move faster but to prevent damage to the tiles as well.

In a lot of jobs I have worked, once the major work is done above ceiling and you won't need to do a lot of pipe work (electricians) or solder work (plumbers) and all ductwork short of final branches, the grid is not that big of a hinderance and the ceiling guys can even cut in the border tiles.

the field tiles should stay out until just about everything else is done, including light installation if possible.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #4

Suspended Ceiling

Also,

Don't forget to get all of your low voltage (data / TV / etc) pulled prior to putting in the grid if possible. I can't tell you how many times I've had to settle charges from my ceiling guy to replace damaged grid/tile because the data guy was late and had no regard for work installed before him.

Heres a quick summary of how I usually schedule the finish work:
  1. Drywall tape/finish
  2. Paint / wallpaper
  3. Ceiling grid / cut border tiles
  4. Cabinets
  5. Drop lights, diffusers, sprinkler heads (all rough-in done prior to drywall)
  6. Hang doors
  7. Install flooring
  8. Drop remainder of ceiling tile
  9. Touchup paint
  10. Clean
Old 11-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Suspended Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhman1 View Post

Thanks
I haven't heard of any return vents (in an HVAC system) being installed on the ceiling. They're usually installed at the lower end of walls. Near the baseboard! (No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive, ever!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Suspended Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
I haven't heard of any return vents (in an HVAC system) being installed on the ceiling. They're usually installed at the lower end of walls. Near the baseboard! (No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive, ever!!!
huh? not in commercial. They are almost always in the ceiling. In fact, the space above the ceiling is often used as a plenum so there are no actual ducts connected to that grill in the ceiling.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:43 AM   #7

Suspended Ceiling

What height are the walls? Grid height walls go up after the grid.
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

Suspended Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
What height are the walls? Grid height walls go up after the grid.

gonna have to explain what you are talking about there. Not making sense to me at least.

nevermind. I think I know what you mean. Walls that are fully under the grid ceiling.

shouldn't be any in new construction. Not saying there never is but in new construction, all walls should be up before the grid goes in.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Suspended Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
shouldn't be any in new construction. Not saying there never is but in new construction, all walls should be up before the grid goes in.
Or even if you are restoring old construction. Walls and maybe even sensitive antique floor refinishing should be done first. The grid goes to new and old walls. Nothing should be built to it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #10

Angry

Suspended Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
huh? not in commercial. They are almost always in the ceiling. In fact, the space above the ceiling is often used as a plenum so there are no actual ducts connected to that grill in the ceiling.
I take it back, partially. Because in residential and small commercial, the grills for the return are at the bottom as I originally said. But in large commercial and Institutional buildings it is (mostly) like you said. As a matter of fact, I now remember when I was running the maintenance dep't in a large HRF. (Helath related facility. Which is one level below a Nursing Home.) It was in a brand new building. But there were many problems with parts of the heating system, where some corner rooms on the top floor had cold radiators, no matter how much they were bled. Also some magnetic starters for heat and other machines were wired wrong. The clincher was when we opened up the ceiling and discovered that there were no ducts for something that was supposed to be the exhaust system. When the rep. of the construction Co. was called he explained that the space above the ceiling and roof was used as an exhaust "plenum". IMO it's still wrong. But it's a shortcut that some companies get away with. (No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!

Last edited by spark plug; 11-19-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Typographical error (Typo)
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
Drywall contractor

Suspended Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Or even if you are restoring old construction. Walls and maybe even sensitive antique floor refinishing should be done first. The grid goes to new and old walls. Nothing should be built to it.
In lease spaces walls are built to and fastened to the grid. That way they are removable if necessary for the next tenant/remodel. HVAC supplies and returns are all in the ceiling on larger commercial jobs and usually consist of 2'x2' diffusers that lay in the grid. On very large spaces, sometimes a "channel" is framed around the perimeter of the ceiling and a narrow continuous vent is installed (3" or 4" wide) and the ceiling is the return plenum. Ideally anything that goes above the ceiling should be installed prior to framing or tile installation. It usually doesn't work out that way most of the time......
Old 11-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

Suspended Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
It usually doesn't work out that way most of the time......
Usually?

I've worked on very few that the ceiling guy wasn't getting shoved to run us over regardless what we had done.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:41 AM   #13
Drywall contractor

Suspended Ceiling

Yep, usually the "schedule" is blown by unforseen problems and they want the ceiling NOW to make up for lost time.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #14
Remodeling Contractor

Suspended Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
Yep, usually the "schedule" is blown by unforseen problems and they want the ceiling NOW to make up for lost time.
you need to start working for better GCs
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #15
Drywall contractor

Suspended Ceiling

Yeah, I'm pretty much done with that stuff these days. I stick with mostly residential repairs and remodels dealing directly with the homeowner. Getting too old and crabby to put up with the BS on large commercial jobs....