Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sump pump runs all the time....help?

I have a home that is fairly modern. It is about 16 years old. I have lived there for 7 years and every year around April I have to drop my replacement sump pump into the pit and return the old one to Home Depot?
I am using a 1/2hp pump purchased from Home Depot and it is the top of the line from their pumps. I have switched between the fully submersible pumps to the free standing pumps with the motor out of the water and I do not seem to get a longer lasting pump regardless....

My question:
Should I upgrade to a higher horse power pump possibly 1hp or 1 1/2hp pump to eliminate the replacing of the pump so often or do I have another problem to handle?
I have checked all of my eves and the water flows away from the house. My home is at a high point on my street. I live at the end and the water from my pump flows to the ditch in front of the home and from there goes down the street.....the tile around the basement seems to do its job as the water is running into my sump pump well, but it seems to run even in dry times....

Chris Leach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

90% of basement water problems can be solved by doing what you did, making sure gutters/downspouts get water at least 6' away from the foundation and that grading does the same thing. The other 10% have no simply cure, which is probably your situation. Use the highest flow, best pump available. Check plumbing supply houses. They have better stuff than big box stores.

I had a dry basement for 37 yrs, maybe a little hydrostatic pressure, but basically dry. Several years ago I suddenly had water coming out the edges and up on the floor. I checked for water main leaks(no chlorine), sewage leaks, (no bacteria), etc., etc. It seems that underground water flow was diverted by road blasting a mile away. I now have a river under my house. Pump runs during droughts, but rarely during spring monsoons.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #3

I have a good feeling there is a pond in the woods about 1 acre from my home. I think there is water there year round and it may be feeding downstream to my yard. Therefore..My pump is doing the job, but I had a yahoo at some plumbing place tell me maybe I need a lesser power sump pump so I went back to homedepot and did so. But I agree, the stronger the pump the better it should be made..and forget the big box stores, they dont seem to be equipped fo rhtis type of home living repairs....

I am in the process of getting a 1 hp or higher pump..just havnt found someone reliable enough to take returns if it burns up on me...

question is..should I dig a 8 foot hole in my yard to see if I can locate this spring I think might exist on the east side of my home...the high point of my yard?
Chris Leach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:22 AM   #4

If you are downstream, and downhill from the pond, it might be worth having someone with knowledge of such things investigate.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #5

If you have enough of a slope away from the house (and you don't need much) I would consider the possibility of t-ing into the existing weepers and let gravity take care of it. The cost and hassle of digging down to the footing (in one spot only) is well worth the peace of mind it buys you. Not to mention the expense of all those pumps you're burning through.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Talk to your neighbors, see if they have similar problem. House is fairly new and you had the pit already in place when you bought. Sounds like the builder hit water and they installed a pit and pump to take care of it. I have a relative that does basement sealing, he mentions how some homes have worn out pumps lined up. I'm figureing you have continuous water if the pumps are wearing out, not sure you could ever stop the flow coming in. I'd look into the type pump and be sure it had a sensor to shut it down if it gets too hot. If its not running constant, maybe its getting clogged up, that will burn out a pump. good luck with that water.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

this may be a solution, I just learned of this the other day. My father has been dealing with water issues in his basement ever since a road on private property behind/above his house was regraded. He's on a mountain too, and never had water issues prior to the regrading. A few years back, he had the entire drain around the house dug up and replaced, and he's still dealing with the issue.

A contractor suggested digging a deep trench about 15 feet away from the house and around the house, add a french drain and fill with gravel. The water will run down the hill, drain into the gravel and of course, into the drain and out wherever you want it to go. I just thought that was an interesting way of dealing with it without excavating around the house.
Steeler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
Experienced

I would up the HP to at least a 1 horse pump, another consideration and of course more work is to install a deeper sump, the increase in volume will allow the pump to run longer on cycles. You may also want to look at the discharge check valve, many times they become corroded and either not open all the way or weep back adding to your problem.

So first thing I would do, increase the HP, and change the check valve to a high grade brass body valve.

Mark
Old 07-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Steeler,, I did same set-up here a few yrs back. Back slopes toward the house. I dug a trench tied in drain pipe and covered with river rock. Run off flows over the trench and is carried out to the front of the house. Some don't care for my rock path through the back yard, I did try to lay it out so its weaves and not just a straight line. I like how it looks and it is doing the job.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #10

If you know where the water is coming from, especially if it is uphill, think about a curtain drain. http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...ain-drain.aspx

Bicoronal is offline   Reply With Quote