Sump Pump Crock Problem - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sump pump crock problem

My sump pump used to run all the time, I replaced the check valve and now it runs less then half as much. The problem I have is that the crock (plastic) seems to be lifting up and there is gravel that has moved under it. We moved in here 4 years ago and it was up about 2" and looked like it was supposed to be that way, since then its up 4" and I noticed that the concrete has markings from the crock showing that at one time it was flush with the floor. Not sure its a project I should tackle or not but also not really sure who to call either. I am worried about tackling it myself and having gravel fill in the hole on me or having foundation problems later from it.

Thanks in advace for any help or tips,

Steve

Advertisement

Last edited by kulprit; 03-16-2008 at 04:33 AM.
kulprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Sump pump crock problem

Isnt there tile lines in that pot from both sides or more?? If so they are raised up and NOT draining right either. Or is that just a collection pot with NO drain tiles. FIRST off is there a time when there is NO water present,or does water run 24/7/365???How about HOT DRY late summers with no rain periods?? LOOKS like you have tremendous hydralic pressure pushing that thing up. Its not where frost is heaving it,,,is it??(NOT much frost in a basement floor) THEN it has to be ALL hydralic pressure or FLOAT where the water cant get in fast enough,

I would be tempted to try cutting a hole big enough for my hand to reach down and under and scrape out gravel manuelly that way and try stepping it back down. That would be SAFE!!!or dirt or whatever else is under there.Maybe put a screen over that to keep gravel OUT and let water in,,if thats how it works!! If that doesnt work after hours and hours of trying,,,then maybe bust out that tub plus 4 inches around it so you can dig it back out,,,and pour gravel back around it. As I said,,,inspect HOW the water is supposed to get in this sump,,,assuming it IS ground water and not merely a sewer up pump for a washer or shower drain etc.!! Good luck,let us know what turns up!!-d-

Advertisement

justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Sump pump crock problem

Thanks for the advice Don, it does have two tile lines running in, the water comes into the crock thru the lines and from around them as well. It doesn't run 24/ 7 anymore but there is always water in the crock yet. I won' t get a chance to try what you suggested till next weekend but sounds like it might work. Thinking I might even put a concrete stepper in the bottom to weigh it down so it won't float up again.

Thanks again,
Steve
kulprit is offline   Reply With Quote