Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Sulfur Smell In Bedroom - But No Gas Leak?

This has happened a few times over the past year and a half. Our bedroom smells like sulfur. We had the gas company come on emergency calls a couple times to make sure there were no gas leaks, even though it smelled like gas. They confirmed that there wasn't any gas leak. The closest gas line is about 15 feet away in the kitchen, but it doesn't smell like gas in there or anywhere else but in the bedroom. What else could be causing this sulfur smell?

Chris Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

If you have a bathroom next to the bedroom, could be that sewer gas is coming from in there. Any renos done in the area just before the smells started?

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,352

How old is this house?
Any drywall work been done in the past 13 years?
http://chinesedrywallcomplaintcenter...ndications.htm
Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
If you have a bathroom next to the bedroom, could be that sewer gas is coming from in there. Any renos done in the area just before the smells started?
True, there is another bedroom between my [gas-smelling] bedroom and the bathroom, and that other bedroom doesn't smell, nor does the bathroom itself. The only reno done was that bathroom - a full gut - when we first moved in nearly two years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
How old is this house?
Any drywall work been done in the past 13 years?
http://chinesedrywallcomplaintcenter...ndications.htm
The only drywall work that has been done was in that bathroom reno I mentioned above.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,302

Yep, someone put a hole into a vent line, or screwed up the toilet on the closet flange. Time to start cutting into some drywall, and yanking that toilet.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Yep, someone put a hole into a vent line, or screwed up the toilet on the closet flange. Time to start cutting into some drywall, and yanking that toilet.
Could this be, even though the smell has occurred only about 5 times over the past 19 months?
Old 08-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds silly and simple but get up on the roof and make sure nothing is nesting in your roof vents! Put new caps on if you find anything after you sweep out bird and squirrel nests.

And once, I had a terrible sulfur smell in a bedroom that finally got traced to sour potting soil for a plant that was not draining.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sweeney View Post
Could this be, even though the smell has occurred only about 5 times over the past 19 months?
Yes, especially more during the Summer months, when drains dry out in slabs.

The Internet is not going to solve your problem, you are actually going to have to physically look for the problem. That means pulling the toilet to make sure that the Wax ring on the Closet flange was put in place, also pulling drywall on the wall, where the vent goes from the sink to the stack, and from the stack at the floor to the ceiling, to make sure whoever re-did the bath, did not put a hole into the piping, or worse, cut a big chunk out of it, and have it open in the wall.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Yes, especially more during the Summer months, when drains dry out in slabs.

The Internet is not going to solve your problem, you are actually going to have to physically look for the problem. That means pulling the toilet to make sure that the Wax ring on the Closet flange was put in place, also pulling drywall on the wall, where the vent goes from the sink to the stack, and from the stack at the floor to the ceiling, to make sure whoever re-did the bath, did not put a hole into the piping, or worse, cut a big chunk out of it, and have it open in the wall.
Thanks, I appreciate everyone's responses and willingness to help!

Let's say the wax ring is not providing a proper seal for the toilet. Why wouldn't I be smelling those sewer gases anywhere else in the house, i.e. in the bathroom itself, in other rooms closer to the bathroom than the room in question, etc.?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sweeney View Post
Thanks, I appreciate everyone's responses and willingness to help!

Let's say the wax ring is not providing a proper seal for the toilet. Why wouldn't I be smelling those sewer gases anywhere else in the house, i.e. in the bathroom itself, in other rooms closer to the bathroom than the room in question, etc.?
A lot of variables. Such as is the door always closed on the bath, do you run a outside venting kitchen fan, are you always running the a/c while home and away, house closed up while gone, what is the temp of the home while away and gone, etc..

The wax ring is there to not only keep the smell from Sewer gasses from coming back out around the base, but also to not allow water to seep, when flushing the toilet.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

Have you noticed if it is a windy day, still day, rainy day, when it smells? Simplest thing would be a downdraft. just ad length to the vent stack. You said gas line, what about the exhaust from the gas? How far is it from the window?

Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duckweather For This Useful Post:
joecaption (08-06-2013)