Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
ktm

Share |

Suggestions for my Kitchen

Hello everyone, I am new to the site, and I just purchased a home. It was built in 1959, and I believe it still has the original kitchen. So, I was hoping you all could help me by giving me suggestions on how to revamp the kitchen on a very tight budget. I want to make it better looking but not spend too much money, and live in the house for a year before I do any major renovations. Anyhow, I have attached a picture for you to see what it looks like currently. I am planning on painting the cabinets a charcoal grey, tiling the counters with white subway tiles and I was thinking of yellow paint on the walls. Not sure how that will look with the floor tiles. Anyhow, any suggestions about the process of painting cabinets and or tiling a countertop, would be helpful. If you have anymore suggestions on colors that would be great too! Thank you in advance.

-Katy
Attached Images

ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #2

I think your house is so old ,if you wants to renovate ,spent maximum amount on your kitchen.There is no other solution.

Last edited by Jalpari; 04-11-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Jalpari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #3

Hard to suggest much from just the single picture view. From what I can see, the floor looks ok.

Getting the cabinets refreshed and color matched would probably make a big difference - I saw this new offering from Rustoleum on TV the other day which might be of interest: http://cabinets.rustoleumtransformations.com/

Tiling the countertops is one option that can look good for not a lot of money.

I am not much on colors, but always go with neutrals and things seem to come out looking good.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to the site, and I just purchased a home. It was built in 1959, and I believe it still has the original kitchen. So, I was hoping you all could help me by giving me suggestions on how to revamp the kitchen on a very tight budget. I want to make it better looking but not spend too much money, and live in the house for a year before I do any major renovations. Anyhow, I have attached a picture for you to see what it looks like currently. I am planning on painting the cabinets a charcoal grey, tiling the counters with white subway tiles and I was thinking of yellow paint on the walls. Not sure how that will look with the floor tiles. Anyhow, any suggestions about the process of painting cabinets and or tiling a countertop, would be helpful. If you have anymore suggestions on colors that would be great too! Thank you in advance.

-Katy
If you tile the counters, you shouldn't use a wall tile. They won't stand up to the abuse. You need either a porcelain, stone or floor tile.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

If you plan on re-doing the cabinets in a year or two do not tile counter-tops. I think you would be better off getting new Formica tops if the old ones are bad. And certainly don't use sub-way style tiles for the top.
Grey cabs with yellow walls...hmmm...I'm thinking...no.

Andy.
AndyGump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
Coconut Pete's paella!

$100 worth of (lighter) linoleum on the floor would go a long ways.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #7

My vote is to live w/ it for a year. Why waste the time and money now?
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
Old School

Make paint samples, and pick up tile samples if you want tile, and lay them out in the kitchen to get some idea of how they will look.

cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote