Subfloors - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Subfloors

After getting may replies to my different questions (thank you all by the way), I started to measure my basement for the sub floor and design it.
I realized that the sliding door sits less than an inch above the concrete floor. Probably enough room to put down some padding or very thin foam and slide the laminate flooring under the rim of the sliding door. (I am hoping...it will be close)

Question is: Is this acceptable? Nearly everyone states to put a sub floor down with insulation. Can it be insulated another way to get the same or near same affect or will I have to suffer with flooring right on the concrete. Someone mentioned under floor radiant heat, but that will certainly break the little budget I have.

Any other ideas? Thank you again.

Advertisement

Retirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Subfloors

A concrete floor will transfer water moisture into the basement from the soil by capillary action. If salts are not present you can seal the concrete with an epoxy coating. This will act as a capillary break and equalize the pressure through the concrete stopping water transfer. Extruded polystyrene should be 3/4" or less to allow the surface to still breathe. After this you should be fine with your laminate flooring. Should not be tucking under the threshold anyway, since you need a 1/4" space around the perimeter of the room for expansion.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Subfloors

You seem to alwasy answer my questions. Thank you for your response.
Retirement is offline   Reply With Quote