Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #1

Share |

Subfloor - Who is right?

we are having an argument about the subfloor. Its weak in the middle, and we have three different opinions on how to fix it.
1. My dad wants to pull up the particleboard and put down one 3/4" layer of plywood
2. My fiance wants to just lay a layer of 3/4" plywood on top of the weak particleboard and screw both layers down the floor joists
3. I want to lay a sheet of 1/2" plywood on top of the weak floor, and replace the carpet with laminate so that it would have strength. I dont like the idea of having 1.5" of subflooring, thats just a lot of weight in a trailer sitting in sand. Then again I am paranoid about the trailer being unstable, and everyone else says it isnt going anywhere, so thats a whole nother argument. Which one of us is right?

We dont want to pull up the subfloor because there are about ten wasp nests in the insulation under the floor and we are afraid if we pull it up, we will get attacked. Once the cold winter sets in around the end of January, we can get under there and pull down the insulation and replace it. If we wait until then to do the floors, my lease will be up and ill be homeless. So, who do you think is right?

firsttimeremode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #2

Subfloor - Who is right?

The right way would be to get rid of the partical board and use 3/4" T&G Advantec subflooring that gets glued to the floor joist then fastened.
Just a layer of 1/2 will do almost nothing.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (09-20-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #3

Subfloor - Who is right?

so what do we do about the wasps? We have been spraying them with bee killer and it just seems to piss them off
Old 09-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
Mod

Subfloor - Who is right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeremode View Post
so what do we do about the wasps? We have been spraying them with bee killer and it just seems to piss them off
Use wasp killer, spray the nest early in the morning when their not active.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #5

Subfloor - Who is right?

We did that. We have sprayed in early morning, late afternoon, evening, even at midnight, and it doesnt work. the person spraying gets attacked and dozens of them come out of the insulation. We cant afford an exterminator, so im a bit lost
Old 09-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #6

Subfloor - Who is right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeremode View Post
We did that. We have sprayed in early morning, late afternoon, evening, even at midnight, and it doesnt work. the person spraying gets attacked and dozens of them come out of the insulation. We cant afford an exterminator, so im a bit lost
How big is the nest? I would just take a long stick and hit it down. Then leave it for like 30 min for the wasps to settle, then poke it into a plastic bag with the long stick. I did this before but the hive wasn't too large
crayola110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #7

Subfloor - Who is right?

There are about ten nests, all about the size of a baseball, and all of them are hidden or half hidden in the insulation under my house. Once the winter arrives, we can go out there and remove the nests and replace the insulation, but as of right now if we tried it we would get attacked
Old 09-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #8

Subfloor - Who is right?

Oh yeah, that's much worse than I thought. Maybe get some different types of pesticides if the bee/wasp one isn't working?

Do you know anyone with a bee suit?
crayola110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
liscenced electrician

Subfloor - Who is right?

I'm not sure if it would work but maybe seal it up and set off like 5 flee bombs under there. I'd think that would kill anything
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #10

Subfloor - Who is right?

i guess i could do that. Maybe get a big roll of thick plastic, and some bricks and screws and attach it to the frame and weigh the bottom down with the bricks, toss a few foggers in there. Id have to seal the water pipes and panel box conduit but that just might work!
Old 09-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
liscenced electrician

Subfloor - Who is right?

well it wouldn't need to be air tight. Just good enough so that there isn't wind blowing through freely. Small drafts wouldn't matter. I'd do once and then do it again a couple days later
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #12

Subfloor - Who is right?

What if i wrapped the bottom of the house, cut out squares in the weak floor, and set of bombs in the house? Do you think that would get rid of the pests?
Old 09-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #13

Subfloor - Who is right?

If the fogger doesn't work, use a shop vac. Hook a length of PVC to the hose, turn it on and put the end of the hose right at the opening to the nest. Poke the nest a couple times and suck them up as they come and go. We just did this on a big wasp nest in a house the other day. The nest was too far into the wall to get spra killer on it so we set up a shopvac right outside the opening and let it run for about an hour. Hammered on the wall a few times once in a white to rile them and sucked up any that came out. The trip into the vac either killed them or stunned them enough to allow us to spray the inside of the drum
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #14

Subfloor - Who is right?

Once we get the underside of the house finished we are spraying Demon under there, that will kill anything that moves, including us if we get it on us. It works for rats, bugs, spiders, bees, lizards, and pretty much anything else that decides to live under the house
Old 09-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #15

Subfloor - Who is right?

Well if i got a powerful enough vacuum i could suck the nest right out of the insulation. It would piss off the wasps. ordinarily i would just leave them alone until winter, but they have one nest right next to the power pole, and they keep attacking when we try to feed the wires into the conduit, and it is very difficult for anyone to work on the electric. I have a feeling that they will need to be evicted before we could even get the power turned on, i dont think the power company would like it very much