Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #1

Share |

Sub Fee

I am interested in what everyone thinks a subcontractor that can frame, hang rock, tape, paint, do electrical and light plumbing, roofing and finish work is worth an hour? I have been doing this for 12 years and we do everything even concrete. I don't believe I am being paid a fair amount. I also believe the contractor that uses me still makes money off me which is frustrating. Please let me know what you guys and girls think. Thanks.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
JOATMON

Sub Fee

Well.....lot of factors.....how good are you and what part of the country are you in?

All to often, people think they are worth more than they are.....

If you really think your underpaid....get another job.....when you give your notice, you will find out what your boss really thinks....if he does not counter offer....your lucky you got another job.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 10-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Sub Fee

Look down below in the off topic section. The guy started the same thread down there and it took off.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
jschaben

Sub Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TlTaylor View Post
I am interested in what everyone thinks a subcontractor that can frame, hang rock, tape, paint, do electrical and light plumbing, roofing and finish work is worth an hour? I have been doing this for 12 years and we do everything even concrete. I don't believe I am being paid a fair amount. I also believe the contractor that uses me still makes money off me which is frustrating. Please let me know what you guys and girls think. Thanks.
Kind of an interesting question. Each discipline requires a different skill set and there are many levels of expertise in each set. Toss the local market into the equation and I'm not sure anyone can come up with a definitive number for you. For instance, before I retired I was in design work at $28/hr. After I retired, I took a part time job in a maintenance department at a local office building for $10/hr. Local market won't stand for $30/hr janitors. A couple of disciplines you mentioned also require licensing; plumbing and electrician work. If you are a licensed electrician, you should be getting the going rate for licensed electricians for doing electrical work, but not for hanging drywall. JMHO

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
Old 10-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
Tileguy

Sub Fee

DUPLICATE POST

Subcontractors fee
Old 10-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #6

Sub Fee

Maintain only one discussion on the same topic please.

This one is Closed.

See the other link posted earlier.

Ed

Closed Thread