Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
The Late Life Biker

Share |

Stud wall return on a preformed shower base

I'm replacing a bathtub with a 60 x 32 preformed shower base. The base unit is designed to be enclosed on three sides and open across the front (just like most bathtubs.) But I would like to build a return wall at one end for two reasons. 1.) It will provide added wall space for installing a niche and soap dishes. And 2.) It will reduce the size of that expensive frameless glass door assembly.
I'm wondering if this is a realistic and doable concept. Is the 60-inch curb at the front of the shower opening sufficient to carry the weight of a (24 inches wide) stud wall with Duroc and tile? How would I seal it at the bottom of the wall where there is no lip or nailing flange? If I build my stud wall on the floor, OUTSIDE the curb, how do I accomplish the overhang of the curb to get a successful water seal?
I have the option of building my return wall at EITHER end of the opening. I thought I'd put it at the far end, away from the shower spray head(s) and reduce the direct exposure to water.
Any ideas will be most appreciated.
This is the unit I'm installing.
http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...&prod_num=1977

latelifebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #2

there's no way you can do this right with that ledge on it. If you build the wall in front, there will still be no path to route potential water behind the walls (since the wall will terminate at the ledge instead of the pre-formed lip to direct water back into the base).

you should have done a custom base or found a pre-formed that can have a partial wall.

the problems and expense you are attempting to create to save on the cost of an extra 24" of glass is fairly ridiculous.

jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jcrack_corn For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-30-2011)
Old 11-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Tileguy

H-m-m-m-m! There's no way to do this says j-corn! Boy !!! I wish I had known that several years ago.

Well okay then I'll move on since there is no way to do this. Nothing I can do here.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
H-m-m-m-m! There's no way to do this says j-corn! Boy !!! I wish I had known that several years ago.

Well okay then I'll move on since there is no way to do this. Nothing I can do here.

thanks for chiming in! I said there is no "right" way to do this, read my post.

are you suggesting he boxes in a preformed shower base that is not meant to be boxed in? really?
jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
The Late Life Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post

You sound as unprepared as I am, Bud, to accept easy defeat.

How say you about your project of "several years ago"?
latelifebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Tileguy

I've moved on.
Remember?

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote