Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stuck in Wyoming!

We are in the middle of new construction in Wyoming, in a town where there are only 3 plumbers. I hired one based on his verbal bid of 6,000 for the whole house. I asked him to put this in writing, but he put me off for 3 weeks. Then the snow came, and our trailer we were living in was frozen and without water. He finally showed and roughed in most of the house, but frankly started working without a signed bid or proposal. I haven't seen him since December, and I have incomplete runs, incorrect vents, and am missing components such as a recirc line, water heater, etc. Now I have received a bill "to date" that is for 8,700, which doesn't even address our upstairs bathroom which he has yet to do. This bill also doesn't cover my fixtures, which I estimate to be around $5,000. This is only a 1,700 square foot home, with two full baths, a laundry, and a kitchen. Besides the obvious, which is I shouldn't have let him on the job site without a formal proposal, what recourse do I have now? They are telling me they had to do a lot of "extra" stuff they hadn't planned on, and they didn't have time to put a formal bid together. Shouldn't a plumber who has been in the business know this going into the project? Remind me never to be the general on a new home project ever again!

fraziersgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

Stuck in Wyoming!

I would say he is as unprofessional as you are naive. Lawyer up!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Stuck in Wyoming!

Tscarborough said it all. You often can't rely on a subcontractor to hold themselves responsible...You have to do that.

They performed a service and you allowed them to perform the service. Without a contract, you should've sent them packing. I don't imagine you have much of any recourse, but only an attorney can tell you that for sure.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,640

Stuck in Wyoming!

Don't let them back on the site. Get bids from other plumbers. Include a separate item for repairs to the already completed work.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,102

Stuck in Wyoming!

Sounds like this is going to degenerate into a mess.
At the very least you need to ask him for a detailed account of every last penny that he is charging you for.
You want the days he was there, when he arrived and left the site, how much per hour is he charging, a full list of materials he has used, what the materials cost and anything else your lawyer can think of. Sounds like a scam operator.
Not the sort of person you want back in your house.
Then consider getting an inspector to check what has been done so far to make certain it is OK.
Not having time to prepare an initial bid is nonsense.
Like the man said, see your lawyer, see your lawyer, see your....
That often straightens out the unscrupulous ones.
Good luck.
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote