Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 85

Stuck Hinge Pin

Yep, the infamous stuck hinge pin. I'm remodeling a bathroom. The doorway has a steel frame.

At the start of the remodeling job, I needed to get the door frame off (I was taking things down to the studs). I got the top hinge pin out, but not the bottom. I ended up removing the door and its associated steel jamb in one piece, just to move things along.

Now I'm putting everything back together. The door is in bad shape and I want to replace it. However, I'm still faced with getting it off the steel jamb.

I can't take the hinge off the jamb -- being a steel frame, the hinge is welded to the jamb. I don't want to install a wooden frame, because all the other door frames are steel, and this one will look out of place.

The hinge was about two feet from the tub spout, so I'm guessing it's a rust issue. The hinge will swing, but the pin will not come out. I've tried Liquid Wrench and WD-40 to no avail.

Any suggestions?!?

Thanks,

Richard

RichardZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,424

Stuck Hinge Pin

Use a bigger hammer.

I've never seen steel frames on interior residential doors before let alone welded hinges.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 270

Stuck Hinge Pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardZ View Post
Yep, the infamous stuck hinge pin. I'm remodeling a bathroom. The doorway has a steel frame.

At the start of the remodeling job, I needed to get the door frame off (I was taking things down to the studs). I got the top hinge pin out, but not the bottom. I ended up removing the door and its associated steel jamb in one piece, just to move things along.

Now I'm putting everything back together. The door is in bad shape and I want to replace it. However, I'm still faced with getting it off the steel jamb.

I can't take the hinge off the jamb -- being a steel frame, the hinge is welded to the jamb. I don't want to install a wooden frame, because all the other door frames are steel, and this one will look out of place.

The hinge was about two feet from the tub spout, so I'm guessing it's a rust issue. The hinge will swing, but the pin will not come out. I've tried Liquid Wrench and WD-40 to no avail.

Any suggestions?!?

Thanks,

Richard
i belive it is called PB BLASTER it is at the box stores i know that mite work and if that doesn't work soak with break flude
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Stuck Hinge Pin

Oh, for Pete's sake..... just go buy a new set of hinges, and replace all of them. It takes less than two minutes each. A little longer if you have to grind off a few welds.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,002

Stuck Hinge Pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Oh, for Pete's sake..... just go buy a new set of hinges, and replace all of them. It takes less than two minutes each. A little longer if you have to grind off a few welds.
Willie,
They're welded on to the steel jamb.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Stuck Hinge Pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Willie,
They're welded on to the steel jamb.
Mike Hawkins
Did you read my last sentence?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,466

Stuck Hinge Pin

Since the hinge will swing the pin is stuck in one set of barrels only. Determine which and using one hammer as a back up on the side of those barrels pop the opposite side with the second hammer or blunt chisel to distort the barrel and break the bond. If this fails apply heat and repeat.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Stuck Hinge Pin

WD40 first. If that does not work, any of the "nut busting" solvents sold at auto stores should do the trick.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Stuck Hinge Pin

See if there is a hole in the bottom plug of the hinge. If so, use a pin pinch and a good sized hammer and drive the pin out. If there is no hole, use a vise-grip and pull the plug out of the bottom of the hinge. Then drive the pin out. You can then tap the plug back into the hinge.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

Stuck Hinge Pin

You've probably already looked, but you might take a look to ensure there's no setscrew on the hinge pin.

I spent quite a bit time one day trying to do what you're doing, only to sheepishly discover a setscrew I had overlooked.
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:13 AM   #11

Stuck Hinge Pin

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I plan on working my way through them until success is acheived!

I'll let you know what happens ...

Richard
Old 08-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
Handyman

Rewards Points: 75

Stuck Hinge Pin

Also try heat from a propane torch or a heat gun. I always find when the oils don't work the heat works wonders

Sent from my iPad using DIY Forum
brucem609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,958

Stuck Hinge Pin

Acetone and transmission fluid mixed together make a great penetrating oil.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #14

Stuck Hinge Pin

All,

Here's the update ...

I figured I'd start with the easiest/cheapest/least invasive, and work from there.

So, I had some old brake fluid laying around (as in, 20+ years, and while I wouldn't use it in a car, I figured it was good enough for this application). I put some aluminum foil under the hinge, some paper on top of that, and carefully but somewhat liberally poured brake fluid over the hinge. I let it sit for 2 days (I had other stuff to do ...). When I got back to it, I tried putting a screwdriver under the lip of the top of the hinge pin and hammering it off. No go. I then inserted the other hinge pin in the bottom of the troublkesome hinge (being careful to first check to see if anything was there, as a number of you so kindly suggested), and hammered on it. Still no go. Finally, I put a steel wedge (for splitting logs) on one side of the hinge, and hammered on the other. When I tried inserting the other hinge pin again at the bottom and hammering, the stuck hinge pin came out. Success! Now, the stuck pin did have brake fluid all over it, altho whether that was because it soaked thru or from simply going past parts where the brake fluid had penetrated, I don't know.

So, while I'd like to report back on all your suggestions, the first two ended up working just fine. Even so, I'm still keeping a copy of this post in case things don't go quite as well next time.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Richard