Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

stuck garage door

my electric roll up garage door is stuck-it seems to have shifted to one side,and one side is now lower than the other.The door is closed on the left side,and open about 7" on yhe other,also on the left side,the top panel is past the track and cannot fold in like it should.It seems i need to shift the door back to where it was.I pulled the release cord to disengage and test the opener, it's o.k. I dont know how to shift the door on the upper left side...... Any idea's?

rixnotallthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

stuck garage door

Not sure I am understanding what your refering to when you say "roll-up" door. Is it a sectional door that rolls up or is it a metal door that rolls around itself?

Big difference between the two.

Anyway, it sounds like either a cable came off one end of the door or the return spring on that side is broken or disconnected. Either way, If you haven't worked with that style of door before I'd recommend caution. Many a DIY'er has been injured working on a spring loaded door. Not something I'd want to have happen to anyone.

Got a picture? It would make it a lot easier to help with a solution.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

stuck garage door

You stated "top panel" so let's go with a sectional panel garage door for now. But still a lot of guess work here.
"The top panel is past the track": Has the roller(s) come out of the track? IF SO then the roller(s) need to be put back into the track. Block up the door on the high side BEFORE doing anything. The roller(s) can be unbolted to get them back into the track if needed. You have disconnected the drive assembly, so you stated. Carefully-can you and a helper raise the garage door on the low side so that it is even and prop this side up so the bottom is level? IF you can get the door level and all the rollers in the track, I would see if I could carefully and slowly raise then lower the door to check operation. IF the door operates within the tracks fine, but seems heavy, then view to assess the cables and tension spring(s). As stated, IF you have no experience with these cables and tension spring(s), they can/will hurt you. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:32 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

stuck garage door

To Shamus and Thurman:Thanks for the quick response and valuable info,i have determined that it is a problem with the tension cable and a bent track.I will have a professional fix these issues. Thank you both again,your time,effort and knowledge are greatly appreciated!....Rick
rixnotallthere is offline   Reply With Quote