Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #1

Share |

stuck garage door

Hi, my kids ran a kiddie car into our automatic garage door and now it is dented and will not open. There is no way into the garage except through the garage door, so I can't try to push it from behind. The remote, when triggered, opens the door about an inch. I do not have a key for the garage door (there is a keyhole in the middle of it.) I'd appreciate any help or ideas! Thanks.

stuckdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:38 PM   #2

stuck garage door

Plan a. You should try pulling the dent out of the garage door.... concentrate at the panel joints that's where it is probably binding.....I know all your tools are in the garage.
Plan b. decide where on the side wall you want a door as required by most codes.. I know... all your tools are in the garage.

Plan c. Do you have a window? ..... I know........

most gears are plastic and will break if you push the button to much..

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
the Musigician

stuck garage door

one tool you probably DON'T have in the garage is a plunger, try that (wet) on the door to pull it back? it might open then.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #4

stuck garage door

is it possible to use that inch of space to get your hand or something in there to pull the door up at all? If you could get it up about 2 feet, you could slide in there and get a better look at what is going on.... I'm sure this is pretty obvious, but seems worth a try. I know if it were me I would do everything I could to try and "pry" (force) it up enough to get inside. From there you can probably dismantle and fix the problem.
bigchomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
the Musigician

stuck garage door

but, as bigbob pointed out, most gears are plastic, forcing it would/could tear the whole thing up and you'd have to replace the opener and probably the door as well.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
General Contractor

stuck garage door

First, do not "force" the door...it could end in disaster. Second, if you are not mechanically inclined, call a door company for a service guy to come out.

If you are sure of your skills, pull the release to free the door from the opener, and then gently lift the door from the inside and note what is going on, like a panel bent inward that is binding.....usually, the door would have to raise several inches before this would cause a binding action.....something does not sound right, and you best option would be to get a service guy.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

stuck garage door

No key for the lock, call the Locksmith. That or drill out the lock to be able to turn the handle. Then you will have to be able to pull the release cable. Looks like you are SOL at this point, unless there is a window that you can get through.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #8

stuck garage door

yep. if you can find a way to the release (that red cord with the small red T pull handle that hangs down from the rail). Problem is it takes a strong downward pull to open.

You could drive your car into the door..call your insurance agent..explain you went nuts...see if they will cover this... better that your ex-wife does this..stop paying alimony...or go to a biker bar..put a $20.00 bill on the counter and ask if anybody knows how to break into a garage?

lol... had a bud that depended on his opener for his old one garage...he buried his side door access with an extra refrig. Power went out during a hurricane for a week+. He ended up cutting the power line and splicing in power from a generator.

He has now moved the refrig and fixed the side door.

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garage