Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #1

Share |

struggling to finish porch project

As I attempt to complete this project, I've hit some road blocks as I attempt to finish the interior of the enclosed porch.

http://flic.kr/p/8qtokz

1. I've put rigid foam insulation in the gap. i then added some spackle (container said interior/exterior but for exterior app. will need to be weatherproofed, painted). still in the process of sanding spackle. i have to make a choice about what to do next. up to this point i've assumed i would add some molding. some have suggested using 1 X4 flat stock. i have made a template of the siding but have yet to buy the wood or make any cuts.

2. one of my larger errors is evident here. on the right side of the door the wood is bowed at the top. not sure how i missed this.

http://tinyurl.com/24w8zy9
1. have to figure out what to do with each corner on this side.
2. should I just paint the exposed wood?
3. a closer view: http://tinyurl.com/2dpusog

http://tinyurl.com/2ashhp7
1. this corner was no more than an inch wide, so I used some caulk saver and caulk.

http://tinyurl.com/29jshyu
1. i put a piece of untreated 1 X3 here temporarily to see how it looked. it doesn't cover all of the wood. when i get the right fit, maybe i will stain everything?

thanks for all of your help. i can see the light at the end of tunnel and i want to be sure that i finish this project in a quality way, having spent so much time and energy on it.

joetab24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #2

It looks like you've got a prehung screen door without any frame- header, king studs, jack studs etc. A framing guy can explain it better than I can so I won't attempt it. As it is it won't last long even if you do get it squared up.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
Mod

At this point all you can do (as mentioned before) is scribe in the trim. Buy a couple extra boards or rip some plywood strips to practice on and make a pattern it may take a couple of tries to get it right.

Get it close then caulk is your friend.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
It looks like you've got a prehung screen door without any frame- header, king studs, jack studs etc. A framing guy can explain it better than I can so I won't attempt it. As it is it won't last long even if you do get it squared up.

@Jim,

thanks for the reply. I guess it's just the camera shot, but I have everything but the cripples. the pic above was before i added the header. i'm noticing there is no bow in the right 2 X4.

Last edited by joetab24; 08-08-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #5

That picture looks much clearer. It looked like you had a 1x framed prehung door in you flikr pics. I see they are 2x's now and not prehung.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #6

If you want the door to operate long term, install a door frame around the unit and and add space around the frame to compensate for the exterior wood movement.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #7

Ron thanks for the feedback

"If you want the door to operate long term, install a door frame around the unit and and add space around the frame to compensate for the exterior wood movement.
Ron"

But I am not sure what I would add? Would I have to take all of this down?
Old 08-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetab24 View Post
Ron thanks for the feedback

"If you want the door to operate long term, install a door frame around the unit and and add space around the frame to compensate for the exterior wood movement.
Ron"

But I am not sure what I would add? Would I have to take all of this down?
You would need to move one side of the rough framing away from the door, 2 " so the door frame could go in. I'd move the right side and add to both the jack studs as they're too low. Even if you left this in place and put a header in, it would actually sit on the screen on the right side.
Ron
Old 08-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #9

@Ron,

regarding the jack studs being too low, you are right. I had to shim them so the door would clear.

I somehow missed the part in the door's installation instructions that discussed building a frame for the door. Guess I should have known this.

The door seems to be stable but if it won't last I am going to have to start over. Won't it look odd or asymmetrical if I move the right side over 2"?
Old 08-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetab24 View Post
@Ron,

regarding the jack studs being too low, you are right. I had to shim them so the door would clear.

I somehow missed the part in the door's installation instructions that discussed building a frame for the door. Guess I should have known this.

The door seems to be stable but if it won't last I am going to have to start over. Won't it look odd or asymmetrical if I move the right side over 2"?
Move the rough opening the way you want. Remove the whole shabang and reframe it. Your porch, your choice. What ever makes you happy, Joe.
Ron
Old 08-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #11

They typically offer interior and exterior doors pre-hung. That is, they already come on a hinged frame that you plumb and square with shims within your door frame- what you have pictured there that still needs a header. I would think they would sell screen doors pre-hung in a frame as well. It would make your installation much easier since the pre-hung frame is already square to the door from the factory.