Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

stripped screws

I have to remove the glass in the door of my woodstove. There are plates with screws in them that hold the glass. I have been spraying the screws with WD 40 so tonight I tried to remove them, I got all but 2 out . The 2 that are still in are almost stripped. I am afraid I am about to really strip them out. Any tricks to get these out?

econdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

stripped screws

Try "PB Blaster". It is more powerful that WD40 at loosening screws. Most auto parts stores have it. You could also try the Grabit.

http://www.aldn.com/grabit/

HD sells them. Probably many other hardware stores. They actually work pretty good.

I would say try heating the surrounding metal or cooling the screw but that may crack the glass.

beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #3

stripped screws

I guess I could try heating since it is the inside of the woodstove door which is under intense heat. I will try PB Blaster first though. If that dont work I will buy the Grabit.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

stripped screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by econdave View Post
I have to remove the glass in the door of my woodstove. There are plates with screws in them that hold the glass. I have been spraying the screws with WD 40 so tonight I tried to remove them, I got all but 2 out . The 2 that are still in are almost stripped. I am afraid I am about to really strip them out. Any tricks to get these out?
Are you worried about stripping the threads or the screw-driver slot. (assuming a slotted screw)
If the screw-head is damaged, one method is to drill a hole into the center of the screw-head. A drill that is equal to the screw thread minor diameter is used.
With this method, the head pops off, allowing the plates to be removed. Then, hopefully, enough of the screw will be left, to snap Visegrips and twist the screw out.
If there isn't enough of the screw left to grasp continue drilling down through the screw, then 'tap' new threads using a tap of the correct size.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #5

stripped screws

well, the head broke off of one screw, the othere will brake too I am sure and the threads are stuck, I guess I have to drill out the rest of the screw and re-tap it. Do you think these are stainless steel screws because they are exposed to high temps inside the woodstove? Man this stinks.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

stripped screws

Quote:
well, the head broke off of one screw, the othere will brake too I am sure and the threads are stuck, I guess I have to drill out the rest of the screw and re-tap it. Do you think these are stainless steel screws because they are exposed to high temps inside the woodstove? Man this stinks.
Hey! Thats why we do it ourselves because we love the challenge!
It possible, although stainless would be less likely to 'freeze' in the holes.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #7

stripped screws

No, we do it to save money. Sometimes I wonder if the aggrevation is worth the money. Thank you for you help and input on this matter though. This is a great website to gather advice and info.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #8

stripped screws

I was able to back both screws out without having to drill. I can replace the glass and install new screws. Should I use stainless?
Old 07-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #9
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,024

stripped screws

Quote:
Should I use stainless?
Yes , Go to a specialty Hardware. Forget the Home Centers. They don't stock anything unless they can sell a jillion a month.

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote