DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Strange Garage Door Opener Problem

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jcalvin 
#1 ·
Heres the situation. I have a Liftmaster 1280lm belt drive opener.
It will start to close and then return. I've had a garage door guy out way too many times to count. The sensor eyes are bypassed, so I know thats not the problem.
If you put a ground wire bypass adapter on the power cord it works fine???
The garage door guy is telling me theres not enough power coming into the outlet??? I've tested the outlet and theres 119v_120v
Could this be the case? If so.. what would not grounding the unit effect?
I'm not going to have him come out again until I do a little research.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for letting me ramble on.
Mike

#2 ·
Sure sounds strange, did garage door dude check torque setting - it is suppose to reverse on a dime if you hold the door but sometimes if set too light a door bind will reverse them. Did you try running it with the door released from the shuttle?

How long has this been happening? how old is the opener?

#3 ·
I just had this same problem myself. I tried to bypass the sensors, but I found out that in new units that is not possible. You may disconnect them or run a jumper, but they are designed to send a code back to the main unit, and if they are bypassed or disconnected, there is no code, and the unit will behave just as you have described. If you hold the button in it should override the sensor code and close the door. But any remote units will not function properly.

Solution: went to Lowes and bought a new pair of sensors and wired them in with the existing wiring and now everything works fine.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies,
The unit is 10 years old and I have two seperate doors.
The Other door was doing the same thing so the garage door guy replaced the unit, a week later it started doing it again, so he put a ground bypass adapter on the power cord and the unit has been working.
Today, the other door started doing the same thing, The bypass sensors have been disconnected for over a year without any issue.
The opener will run smooth with the door disconnected.
maintenance 6 might be onto something. I'll keep checking.
Thanks again!

#6 ·
Is your door balanced properly?
try pulling on the emergency release and check the balance, run the door up and down manually and see if there are any obstructions or kinks in the track.

also, have you counted the number of times the motor flashes when it does this? they are designed to tell you what the problem is.

I hope this helps

#7 ·
check your neighbor. remember last year when you went out of town and left him the remote to the garage so he could feed the cat. well, he never gave it back to you. he is setting on the porch getting a good laugh out of you right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.