Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:46 PM   #1

Share |

stove vent doesnt vent very well

I have an older Jenn air stove with a grill on it. The vent doesn't work very well and I was wondering if anyone has any comments?

The fan seems to be working OK and the duct work seems fine as well.

Do these style of vents (intake is between the burners NOT overhead) just not work very well?
kalabula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #2

Do you know where the vent is ducted to? I've seen people (and builders) vent them into the wall cavity or into very small parts of the attic that lack ventilation. The vent should terminate to the outdoors via the side wall of the house or the roof. If it doesn't, it may not be able to create any static pressure in the duct to carry the fumes outside.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #3

Its vented to the outside via a 5" dia. flexible duct. Its less then a 10' run. Also the when I went outside to check to see if the damper was opening (it was) and the pressure seemed really good.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #4

My father has one it it does not pull air all that well. I think its just par for the Jen Air model.
JCAHILL4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Those are fine for grilling steaks.

But they don't work as well for venting fumes from a pot boiling on the stove top.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
Those are fine for grilling steaks.

But they don't work as well for venting fumes from a pot boiling on the stove top.
I am having a problem with the grill side of the stove. I have to open windows after I grill. I am wondering what kind ov duct setup everyone else has. Mine has 6" flex hose going from the stove to the fan (all under the stove). Then in the basement there is another 10' of 5" flex that goes from the "out" end of the fan to the damper outside.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #7

The instructions from the manufacturer should dictate the duct size. Flexible ducts will restrict air flow more then rigid duct work. If you need to modify it, check with Jenn-air first to see you have the correct diameter piping.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #8
Learning by Doing

oooh - oooh -oooh. I just re-did my JennAir's ducting. It vents through the basement out a basement window (at some point I will drill a hole through the 18 inch thick brick wall ). The vent has about a 28 inch run through the basement.

The JennAir vent enters the basement with a 4 3/4 inch pipe that I figure was a custom-jobbie. I used a modified 6 inch to 4 inch reducer to run to the semi-rigid 4 inch vent.

As a chef, I think the vent is not adequate to remove heavy smoke or steam - I find it helps to use a splatter screen to direct the steam/smoke/etc toward the vent's intake. If you cook any greasy food I would suspect that your vent or filter are clogged. I find I have to clean my filter at least twice a month or it gets bogged down.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
remodeling pro

IMO. downdraft ranges, as well as the expensive units with the pop up vents behind the cooktop, have always been a disappointment in performance. When asked my opinion by a customer about these configurations, I tell them to think about them from a logical, engineering, position, rather than the marketing hype or asthestics sales pitch. The contaminants that you are trying to vent originate at the top of your cookware, anywhere from 4" to 12" or more above the cooking surface, and are naturally rising from the cooking heat. It just is not practical to pull enough air into a downdraft to be able to reverse their flow from this elevation without sucking all of the heat from the flame out due to the huge volume of air and high velocity that would require.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #10

Well as it happens, my dad found an old (but new) motor for the exhaust fan which I have since installed. Also I am removing all the 4" flex pipe and replacing it with rigid 5" pipe.

When I am done I will try and remember to post back with the results.

Thanks for all the good info.