Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Storm Door Wood Splitting

The wood frame that connects the hydraulic part of my storm door to the house is splitting. What is the best way to fix this? I'm not worried about the door falling off because it's still on hinges. Can I simply use longer screws hoping to hit the door frame behind the frame intended for the storm door? Sorry if this doesn't make sense...novice here. Hopefully the pics will help.

Gerard
Attached Thumbnails
Storm Door Wood Splitting-image-1425721241.jpg   Storm Door Wood Splitting-image-760961929.jpg  

gerardswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,452

How right do you want to do this? Quick patch that works or complete wood replacement?

To short and to fat screws caused that----

Old 02-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardswork View Post
The wood frame that connects the hydraulic part of my storm door to the house is splitting. What is the best way to fix this? I'm not worried about the door falling off because it's still on hinges. Can I simply use longer screws hoping to hit the door frame behind the frame intended for the storm door? Sorry if this doesn't make sense...novice here. Hopefully the pics will help.

Gerard
couple things did this split with the plunger in the orignal place or did it split when you put the screws in with out drilling the hole's out ?? Those screws look to big ?? This wood is the cheepest wood and will split easy as you see. what i would do is get a piece of good wood and put over the other one like glue it and than drill holes and screw the door stop back on. Now i don't belive the wood will split any more?? I have replaced the whole piece of wood on one of mine not cause of split it just dry rotted out but you will have to take the door out and unless you have a table saw and tool's that will not work for you. I have a complete shop so mine was no problum. If it were me i wouldn't look at it . It will and still works.

Last edited by del schisler; 02-26-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: more info
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Can I simply use longer screws hoping to hit the door frame behind the frame intended for the storm door?
Ayuh,.... That would be the quick, 'n easy fix....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

not the first time this ripped out? maybe you need a chain?
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6

Larger screws into the door jamb might give it better hold. You could also cut and replace that portion of the door frame that is damaged then fill, sand and paint it to match the rest of the remaining frame member. replacing it would also give you the opportunity to inspect the jamb members under the frame for damage.
Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Update...stupid wood split completely before I did anything with it....pulled right off the frame. Currently removing the wood jam and then will replace. While I'm at it I'm replacing the door handles.
Attached Thumbnails
Storm Door Wood Splitting-image-3861078847.jpg   Storm Door Wood Splitting-image-3596255238.jpg  

gerardswork is offline   Reply With Quote