Storm Door Parts? Wood Core? Anything But The Whole Door... - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Storm door parts? Wood core? Anything but the whole door...

My storm door has been a "slight problem" since we bought the house. It looked as if someone tried to close it with a watermelon wedged in the bottom corner putting a slight bend in the door causing it to pop open on occasion.

Well, last night the wind caught it and smacked it against the railing and bent it a little more. I gook it down and took it apart.

The 2 pieces of sliding glass, the sliding screen and the frame for them are fine.
The hinges are fine
The springs are fine, the handles and locking mechanism is fine

Really the only thing that's mangled is the wood "core" of the door and one piece of the aluminum rail which screws to it.

Nobody seems to want to sell anything but the whole door w/ glass, screen, hardware etc. Now I wouldn't mind paying for it if I felt I needed it, but I feel it's a total waste to pitch all the good parts and go and buy a new door....

I'd try to make it myself - it seems to just be particle board but I don't think you can buy the wood laminated with whatever the door is laminated with....

Any ideas?

Advertisement

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,168

The problem, as you no doubt already know, is that you would probably have to peel back a lot of the aluminum skin in order to get a sufficient bond to mend the core, and then gluing the skin back to the core, and getting it to look decent, would be an absolute pita. Depending on the manufacturer, I do recall having a good experience getting a jamb, or something like that, direct from Emco a few years back. If you happen to have any in your area, the first place that I would check though is Habitat's Restore. I would almost be willing to bet that if I went to our local one right now, I would find no less than 20 or so of various makes and styles, and priced very favorably.

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
The problem, as you no doubt already know, is that you would probably have to peel back a lot of the aluminum skin in order to get a sufficient bond to mend the core, and then gluing the skin back to the core, and getting it to look decent, would be an absolute pita. Depending on the manufacturer, I do recall having a good experience getting a jamb, or something like that, direct from Emco a few years back. If you happen to have any in your area, the first place that I would check though is Habitat's Restore. I would almost be willing to bet that if I went to our local one right now, I would find no less than 20 or so of various makes and styles, and priced very favorably.
Yeah - fixing the existing core is actually one of the few options I did not want to consider for the exact reasons you just mentioned.

I considered trying to build it myself also... but not sure if ti would be worth it. Problem would be covering it with something.

Funny as it might be, my wife just mentioned the Restore idea (I assume they are probably the same thing). I'll have to pay them a visit this weekend.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote