Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #1

Share |

Storm Door Brand Suggestions

I am in the market for a new storm for my front door of my house. Does anyone have any suggestions on brands, things to look for etc.? I see the supposed "best" at Home Deopt and Lowes is Andersen and Pella. Anyone have experience with these doors or other brnads to consider? Thanks!
kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
Learning Things Every Day

I am thrilled with my new Larson storm door from Lowes. The construction is great. I love the foot-operated lower closer, the cover strips for the screw holes on the rails, and the handle hardware.

While I did have a little difficulty with the installation because of inexperience, the instructions are very clear.

I think I paid something like $250-$300 for it. As this is the first one I have ever bought and installed, I don't know how it compares to other brands, but I feel it's worth every penny.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Mod

I almost always use Larson’s, mainly because there always in stock at my local lumber yard.

I’ve never had a problem with a Larson, even with their lower end stuff.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
the Musigician

+1 on Larson.
Installed a good many of them, never a complaint.
The BB store versions may not be the same quality any more though, many companies lower quality to sell quantity to them. I hope Larson did not allow that.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #5

I had a Larson storm door installed by Lowe's last November. I'm very happy with it.

What's even better is that someone from corporate marked them down $130 less than they should have been. My son-in-law called me from Lowe's and told me to get over there right away if I still planned on buying one.

Mine is just like Jay 78's door, except that it has an upper and lower glass with a screen that rolls up. I think it's called Tradewinds Full-view.

IMO the full glass door like Jay has looks nicer, but I needed to have a screen on it for ventilation.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
Windows & Remodeling

ProVia makes an excellent storm, but they are a little pricey. The Larsons, Anderson's etc will still do a nice job, as long as you dont buy the $99 special.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #7

I went looking for a storm door at Lowe's today and found a Larson I liked. It looks just like the one in the picture above. Before purchasing it I asked how easy it was to install. The clerk behind the counter started throwing out terms I had never heard of then told me I was best off buying the $97 installation. Now I am not experienced but I am not here to pay for installation, I am here to do it myself. So, what do I need to install this door myself? I have a similar door already in place but it is old and I want to replace it. How difficult will the install be for someone who has never done one?
garback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
the Musigician

They're pretty basic, and should come with instructions as well.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
Mod

Installing a storm door is an easy DIY project if you own some basic tools.

Here’s a Larson Installation Video. Hope it helps.

http://www.larsondoors.com/storm_doo..._instructions/
Old 03-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
DIY staff

Pay the $100-- Lots of holes to drill---including the 3/4 inch lock hole--

Installing it is not brain surgery,however,I think having it installed is not a bad idea.

I've been called in several times to bail out a frustrated home owner who gave up on the storm door.

Just my 2 cents.---Mike---
Startingover (10-29-2013)
Old 03-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
Learning Things Every Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by garback View Post
I went looking for a storm door at Lowe's today and found a Larson I liked. It looks just like the one in the picture above. Before purchasing it I asked how easy it was to install. The clerk behind the counter started throwing out terms I had never heard of then told me I was best off buying the $97 installation. Now I am not experienced but I am not here to pay for installation, I am here to do it myself. So, what do I need to install this door myself? I have a similar door already in place but it is old and I want to replace it. How difficult will the install be for someone who has never done one?
However handy you are, I'm willing to bet I'm less handy. With that said, I don't think it's difficult at all, and if I can do it, I honestly think anyone can.

As I said earlier, I ran into a little speed bump during the installation, but the solution was simple - I just needed to shim one side a bit to get it to hang properly. Had I known that in advance, I could have done the complete installation in less than 2 hours. This is coming from a guy who has never even thought about installing a door before and with about zero DIY experience.

I would imagine that the easy to understand instructions included with my particular Larson applies to all Larson storm doors. Also, I learned a lot simply by taking the old door down.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #12
Windows & Remodeling

Quote:
Items needed: instruction manual, basic tools, mechanical inclination, and access to diychatroom if you get stuck.... It really depends on what you value more. If it is your time, then spend the $100 bucks to save you a few hrs of work. If you place a high value on the satisfaction of doing things yourself, then go that route.

HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (03-19-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #13

I am going to do it. I am trying to learn as much as I can about anything "handy" . I'll let you know how it goes. Pictures and report to follow. Maybe next weekend.
garback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #14
Mod

Quote:
I am going to do it. I am trying to learn as much as I can about anything "handy" . I'll let you know how it goes. Pictures and report to follow. Maybe next weekend.
Good or you, lots of help here encase you get stuck.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #15

I bought a Pella storm door form Lowes. It looks like the picture early in this thread. No complaints, looks and works great, easy to install. The salesman at Lowes told me that Pella and Larson are owned by the same company now.
cep89 is offline   Reply With Quote