Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #1

Share |

storm door

Since we've moved in our storm door has seemed off a bit. Seems like a dumb question, but is it supposed to open 90 degrees? Ours definitely isn't opening wide enough. Before I adjust the top piece (safety chain?), I want to know how much I should expect the door to open..Thanks

joetab24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
"Beam me up, Scottie"

storm door

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetab24 View Post
Since we've moved in our storm door has seemed off a bit. Seems like a dumb question, but is it supposed to open 90 degrees? Ours definitely isn't opening wide enough. Before I adjust the top piece (safety chain?), I want to know how much I should expect the door to open..Thanks
It may be the door closer. I've noticed certain models have a shorter travel from the rod into the cylinder. Unhook the chain and open the door watching the rod. It may stop short of 90. If not, it is a chain adjustment.

I know from experience that a top brand from Menard's changed to the shorter closer. If you install it according to their specs, the door will not open to a 90 degree, more like a 75.

Kevin

Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #3

storm door

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetab24 View Post
It might also be the way the closer was installed. The bracket on the frame should be 1/4" away from the storm door frame. The closer should be attached to the door about 18" from the hinge side edge. If the closer has been attached at 20", the doors opening will be reduced.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote