Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
DIY til I die!

Share |

"storm damage" or insurance fraud?

Hey guys, I havent been on here in a while. I couldnt reset my pass word on my old user name (zel), so had to make a new one.

Anyway, here it goes...

A few months ago, this contractor began leaving flyers in my mailbox, saying that I had storm damage. This went on for a few weeks, I got about a dozen of these flyers. Each one would have more and more addresses in my neighborhood listed at the bottom and it said "These neighbors have already been approved for full roof and siding replacement at no cost to them." "Call today!"

I looked over my roof and siding and saw nothing but 20 years of normal wear. Now, a few months later, even more houses are getting siding, windows, and roofs done by this contractor. Some neighbors I have spoke to are also leary about this company and we feel they may be embelishing normal wear to get the insurance company to pay for the repairs.

I would just like some thoughts and opinions on this situation. Also, could there be damage that I cant see? The house is about 20 y/o and has Aluminum siding.

Thanks guys!

Zel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:29 AM   #2

IMO, you don't get something for nothing. I myself, wouldn't trust the guy. How could he tell your house had damamge that you can't even see? I am assuming that he must be looking from the street. I would contact the BBB, and have him checked out. Who knows, maybe its a scame where the insurance company does NOT pay, and this joker puts a lien on the house. It just doesn't sound right. I wouldn't bite if I were you.

Bofus

bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:29 AM   #3

I assume your area had a hail storm? or wind blown debris?

Have you ever seen it rain on one side of the street and not the other?

It is very possible your neighbors had damage and you did not.

Siding: If one area had damage it might trigger total replacement if carrier
is allowing for matching issues.

Damaged siding is easy to spot. Hail damage to roofing shingles might be harder to see and require a trained eye. Adjusters count the hits per square, X number(storm and carrier sensitive) of hits and HO is paid for a new roof per the term and conditions of their policy. If winds were high your shingle tabs might have looked like the dancing keys of a player piano, if tabs are bent back they can become very weak. The seal may have been broken on your shingle and dirt and debris hindering the asphalt sealing strip from resealing. One slope may have had ceramic granules knocked off and no bruising. Their purpose is to protect asphalt from uv and thus premature ageing.

Adjusters and carriers tend to try to error on the side of caution. If HO has leaks or parts of shingles blowing away after a claim is denied everybody gets upset. (Water damage to interior), Insurance commissioner review, HO mad as...., agent mad because HO is upset and wants to change carriers, the problem and finger pointing goes up and down the adjusting chain of command...etc....ect...

Yes, the system is prone to abuse. If the storm trooper contractor (flyers are typical marketing tool)advises the HO they have damage, and the adjuster can't find it and denies the claim...well this is like pouring gas on the beurecratic forest fire described above.

Find a local long established roofer that does insured loss restoration to come take a look at your roof when they have the time. Do not call your agent unless you are sure you have damage. Agents are required to report your call to the carrier. This is a CYA business.

Have you inspected the roof? Do you know what to look for?

http://www.haagengineering.com/ehail...l/new_dmg.html

I hope this info helps a little.

Last edited by Big Bob; 08-29-2008 at 08:32 AM.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:29 AM   #4

I NEVER trust a contractor who came to my door soliciting work. At the very least it sounds like insurance fraud.
Did you have a recent storm(hail, high winds) that could have caused damage? Call another contractor you choose if you want the work done.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #5

joed beat me to it! If you think you need work doing go looking for it but don't always trust those who approach you. Perhaps you could call someone else to have a look (get a recommendation) first to know if there really is enough damage to warrant a repair.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-29-2008 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Advertising Link Removed from Signature
JohnDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
DIY til I die!

Thank you guys for the responses.

We had some storms in the area last summer that had high wind gusts and small hail, but nothing out of the ordinary for this area. I looked over the parts of my roof that I can see and didnt see anything that looked like hail damage. We have asphalt shingles and the houses are 20 years old. I also looked over the siding all around the house and didnt see any hail damage. I see a few minor dents, but they are likely from lawn mowers, and ladders being put against them when cleaning. We have only lived here for about 4 years. So, you guys think we should maybe ask a reputable contractor or a public adjuster to have a look, just to be sure there is actually no damage?

My dad was a p/a for years, but due to a neck injury cant be climbing up on the roof.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #7

ask your dad to recommend someone. Somebody that knows what to look for should check out your (20 years old roof). The clock is ticking and may be short on your timely reporting damage to your carrier( you said last summer '07?). Talk to dear old dad.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #8

Contractors like the one you're describing are like ambulance-chasing lawyers. Never use a roofing contractor that doesn't have an established reputation in your town.

If you're concerned about potential storm damage, contact reputable contractors and get a handful of bids. Then have your insurance adjuster take a look.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:34 AM   #9

The adjuster may be taking a cut; I've heard of less-than honest independant adjusters writing up claim reports that were "embellished" with work that didn't need doing, that was recommended and that the insurance company honoured because they were trying to improve their image. 'Course the adjuster and the company were on the take...the guys who did the work came out happy and all it took was one customer and the snow-ball effect.

Adjusters have to walk a fine line between their company employer an the good of the householder - and sometime that line gets crossed.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #10
DIY til I die!

Thanks again for the advise. I'll get someone who knows what to look for up there to check it out. We did have plans to replace the roof/windows/siding in the near future anyway, so wouldnt hurt to get some quotes/opinions anyway.

Another thing I forgot to mention, I tried researching the contractor and found nothing at all, no web site, no address and nothing with their name on the BBB web site. I am going to try and find a phone number for them and do a reverse lookup and see what turns up, if anything. I'm guessing they either exist under a different name, are from a different state, or recently changed names to hide from either lawsuits or investigators.

They have this house down the street 90% done, but havent worked on it in 3 days. ??? Also, I noticed someone taking pictures one morning. Wasnt the homeowner, didnt look like a contractor.??? Maybe L&I? Maybe they had no permits to do the work? Not sure. I'll see what I can find out.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #11

BBB isnt a reliable gauge. More of a promotion device for their members.

You should check your county's online court records to see how many times the company has been sued by their customers or suppliers. Pull up their tax records to see if they're delinquent. If they're storm chasers, you might not find much since they're probably not established in your area.

Your suspicions are reason enough not to utilize this company.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:52 PM   #12

Agreed with the BBB. I only mentioned them as a start. Usually a good contractor doesn't have to put fliers in the mail, a good one usually has plenty of work.
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #13
DIY til I die!

Well guys, looks like they put up a new sign on the neighbors lawn. I googled the phone number and it is coming up to be an apartment in a town a few miles away. The name that comes up is so silly, I think its either a misprint or a fake name. Strange.