Storage In Attic? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

storage in attic?

I would like to put some plywood down in the attic and store some light stuff in the attic. Like toys, clothes, decorative items, etc... Is it safe to do with this kind of trusses?

Advertisement

AndyH24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

storage in attic?

It's unlikely the truss design was set up for storage. Take the specifications to someone who can give you the proper guidance.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,098

storage in attic?

Check with your local B.D. as they would know if your State follows this:
http://www.tricountytruss.com/CodeChanges.aspx

It looks fairly new, it may be: http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...001_par036.htm

The B.D. will know looking at the plans for the roof, or call the truss manufacturer with the numbers stamped on the side.

Gary
Old 12-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to FordRacer2007

storage in attic?

I just bought my house about a month ago and we have a very similar looking attic to that of the pics. When we went up to it we found the previous owners were using it to store some kids toys and a few dining room chairs and they had set some plywood on top of the white insulation. We are currently using it to store a few things ourselves but we make sure to keep it lightweight and just to store a very few ammount of things.
FordRacer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

storage in attic?

I'd be worried that setting plywood on top of the insulation would compress it (either immediately or gradually over time) - it looks like pretty fluffy stuff.
jules4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

storage in attic?

Modern attics are not meant to be storage spaces. I look at it this way. If something has not been used for over six months, such as toys, or clothes, get rid of it. If you are really wanting to hang onto the stuff, storage space in basement, garage, or even a shed, until you get rid of it, or it accidentally ends up in the trash. I have attic space in my home, but it is a older home, and do not use it, because of the amount of dirt. My wife's grandmother has a old four square, and everyone in the family has used the attic for storage, which became a huge headache in getting the stuff out of there, because of the logistics. Some stuff was over forty years old, and got tossed. Why it was hung on to, no one knew.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote