DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

stone veneer

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  troubleseeker 
#1 ·
I wish to install some stone veneer or faux stone over james hardee board
siding on a new manufactured homes front entry area, the siding and home are pretty sturdy and well made. should i use a certain brand of stone veneer ?
stone paneling seems over priced. I am a do it yourselfer but i'm not afraid
of a project.

Thanks to all that reply........

#2 ·
I would look at a few companies that sell the product and see what they consider an adequate substrate. Your siding might be sturdy, but will it be the correct base?
Ron

#3 ·
I don't think placing stone veneer directly over HardiPlank is a very good idea. Why don't you just remove the plank, put appropriate substrate board (just ask your rock dealer) over the newly exposed surface, and put the stone on that? That's much better and won't take very long to do.

#5 ·
Whatever brand you decide on must be installed per the manufacturers recommendations or the warranty will be void. That includes the recommended back substrate, proper detailing of flashings, and adhesives. I suggest you look around at local masonry dealers who carry the product, there is a lot of variation among the brands as to how convincing they are to the real thing, from almost impossible to distinguish, to phony from a 1/4 mile away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.