Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Stationery / Transom / Picture window ???

Is there ANY universal term for one of these?

Basically I'm looking for a window that doesn't open at all, I just want the frame w/ some glass in it.

I have a 3-section window in my den. The individual sections are roughly 14" high by 24" wide (3 side by side, makes for a 6' wide window, 14" high)

The window is about 6' off the ground, it faces my neighbors yard which is probably why it's up so high.... it's actually kinda nice that way.

Problem is that it is HORRIBLY inefficient. I can feel the draft from it if the wind hits it right and it's only a single layer of glass.

They appear to open individually, although I'm gonna go ahead and guess that they haven't been open in 50 years.

There is a HUGE window on the other wall facing my yard which opens so I really have no desire for these things to open. It also seems it would be hard to find a window that is 14" high by 24" wide that opens anyway.

So........ am I looking for a picture window, transom window, stationery window?

I guess a better question is where do I go for them? Are these sold in select sizes or are they all custom order?

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,350

Get yourself an Anderson Window catalog ---almost all window sizes are available as 'fixed' (non opening)

or 'operating'--(able to be opened)

Old 02-02-2011, 06:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

And Marvin makes custom sized windows, but pricey.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
Is there ANY universal term for one of these?

Basically I'm looking for a window that doesn't open at all, I just want the frame w/ some glass in it.

I have a 3-section window in my den. The individual sections are roughly 14" high by 24" wide (3 side by side, makes for a 6' wide window, 14" high)

The window is about 6' off the ground, it faces my neighbors yard which is probably why it's up so high.... it's actually kinda nice that way.

Problem is that it is HORRIBLY inefficient. I can feel the draft from it if the wind hits it right and it's only a single layer of glass.

They appear to open individually, although I'm gonna go ahead and guess that they haven't been open in 50 years.

There is a HUGE window on the other wall facing my yard which opens so I really have no desire for these things to open. It also seems it would be hard to find a window that is 14" high by 24" wide that opens anyway.

So........ am I looking for a picture window, transom window, stationery window?

I guess a better question is where do I go for them? Are these sold in select sizes or are they all custom order?
These are 3 different window types so there's no single name for them. You would go to the window store and tell them the setup you want and they would design the window accordingly. Decide which manufacturer you want and look at their catalog. Their classifications might differ from another window company.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
Coconut Pete's paella!

Any suggestions on "required reading"?

From what I can tell a transom window is a non-opening window but located in between 2 windows that do open............. still confused about the difference between picture and stationary??
Old 02-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
Any suggestions on "required reading"?

From what I can tell a transom window is a non-opening window but located in between 2 windows that do open............. still confused about the difference between picture and stationary??
A transom window is one that goes above another door or window.
A stationary window would be a non opening sash. Such that you would find in a multi sashed bow window. The middle units could be stationary while the end units operate.
A picture window is a large window, that usually sits between operating sashes, but cannot be converted to an operating sash(which a stationary unit can)
Look at the Andersen catalog online for pictures of the classifications.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

Best thing to do, is contact a local glass shop, and let them bid on it. Having a huge picture window, means more area for Heat/Cold convection. Even if it is Triple Pane, argon filled, you will still get the cold effect off of it.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
Coconut Pete's paella!

That helps a lot. Thanks.