Static On Steel Cabinet - Why? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2010, 01:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Static on steel cabinet - why?

I have this big steel cabinet in my office that holds the office supplies, mostly papers, folders, envelopes, pens, markers, etc. Every time I touch the door I get this static feel. It doesn't hurt but it startles me. Where did this come from? Why does that happen? There is an AC near it. That's the only appliance which needs electricity.

And this also happens whenever I am wearing a rubber sandals.

Advertisement

MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

It usually is not the cabinet, but you walking across a carpet that generates the static charge, which gets discharged thru the cabinet.

But it is possible that screws holding the cabinet to the wall have pierced a power cable. That is dangerous and needs to be checked out.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalHome View Post
And this also happens whenever I am wearing a rubber sandals.
The rubber soled shoes could be making the problem worse actually. Try some leather soled sandles and see if you notice a differance, i think you'll be SHOCKED by the results
Old 08-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

Two good answers there and I do agree that YOU are shocking the cabinet via dissipating static electricity rather than the cabinet shocking you. IF this cabinet is secured to the wall in any manner, I also would suggest that you have this checked out. I'm still thinking it is you "magnetic personality" though. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #5

Are you saying that it is ME who emits this static electricity? How come? An office mate also has the same experience with this cabinet.

My office is not carpeted. It has marble flooring.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #6

If you touch it once...get shocked...don't move
Touch it again
Does it still shock you the 2nd time ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
DIY Hack

Either you are shocking the cabinet, or it's shocking you. more than likely it's you. maybe you scuff your feet when you walk? adding some humidity to the air might help. try putting a small humidifier in your office, or even a small fountain.

If your cabinet is the culprit, it should shock anyone that touches it, not just you. Ask anyone who comes in your office to touch it
Old 08-17-2010, 01:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
If you touch it once...get shocked...don't move
Touch it again
Does it still shock you the 2nd time ?
No, it doesn't shock me the 2nd time. But when I have to touch it again after an hour or so, it happens again. It's more shocking when it's cold. Is that the moist?
Old 08-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
DIY Hack

if it's not shocking you a second time, that's really you not shocking it. You are building up static in your body, and discharging it when you touch the cabinet. An hour later, after you have slid off and on your fabric covered chair, and shuffled your feet across the carpet, you have built up a fresh batch.

Adding humidaty to the air will help for sure as it will release the stored energy into the water vapor in the air. It's proably one of the easiest things you can do. pick up a humidifer, set it low, 25-35% should do the trick

Think about how you walk. Do you tend to shuffle your feet? If so, make an effort to lift your feet higher when you walk and try to break the shuffling habit, this will make a huge difference

Natraul fibers will help as well. Go for leather soled shoes, and if you wear a lot of poly, switch to cotton, it won't store up as much juice.

You can buy a mat the you can put in your office that will disapate the static, just make sure it gets grounded when it's installed!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Chips For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (08-19-2010)
Old 08-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
Enough is Enough

Rewards Points: 75

That's why they suggest wearing a grounding wrist strap, while working on computers.
H. A. S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #11
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

I get the worst shocks in grocery stores. It's from the rubber wheels on the tile floor generating a static charge in the steel cart with no place for it to go until I touch a metal shelf or freezer door while holding the cart (even the rubber handle). It's the worst in the winter time due to low humidity levels.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
I get the worst shocks in grocery stores. It's from the rubber wheels on the tile floor generating a static charge in the steel cart with no place for it to go until I touch a metal shelf or freezer door while holding the cart (even the rubber handle). It's the worst in the winter time due to low humidity levels.
I know it's not the most practicle thing in the world, but you could try pushing the metal cart against the metal shelves every so often, so the charge gets passed directly instead of through you
Old 08-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #13
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

I don't really mind it...I use it to keep the kids in line.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #14

Thanks for all your replies. I get what you mean now. I am sitting on a swivel chair that I drag from the computer table to my work table back and forth, a lot of times. When someone ask for supplies, that's the time I go to the steel cabinet. I have already covered the steel handle with rubber, but it still discharge static.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #15
nap
You talking to me?

are you old enough to remember the static straps they used to put on the back bumpers of cars? Put one of those on each ankle and you should be fine.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote