Start Own Business - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Start own business

I am trying to start my own independent remodeling, construction, company. I have been in this business for almost eight years with a company. Now, i have customers requesting business for me.
i need to know where or how to get licensed or if i need a license to start doing construction on my own? I live in MA but work in RI...

Any suggestions or advise please anyone

Thanks

Advertisement

oscarobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,508

Start own business

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarobert View Post
I am trying to start my own independent remodeling, construction, company. I have been in this business for almost eight years with a company. Now, i have customers requesting business for me.
i need to know where or how to get licensed or if i need a license to start doing construction on my own? I live in MA but work in RI...

Any suggestions or advise please anyone

Thanks
This is a good place to start. http://www.contractors-license.org/

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Willie T (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 616

Start own business

From what I have seen, everyone starts out doing side jobs after work, then finally out on there own. After a while the jobs get bigger and bigger and you will need to go legit. Then you under bid a big job, back to working for someone else, doing side jobs after work and the cycle continues. Bid your jobs a lot higher than you think, better too not get them than to have to eat a job.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Start own business

I certainly did not to scab or work uninsured on jobs at night so "everyone" might not be the right word. Handymen sneak around the regs in the State and do work far beyond their scope at times without necessary licensing and insurance. In theory I believe any work that will come to more than $1,000 is supposed to have a written contractor and for most things, their must be a licensed contractor involved for inspections and things.

I sought out work experiences with those who would mentor me along with the idea of setting me off on my own one day. Like you, there came a point where clients asked for me on jobs and the people I worked with were busy enough they did not mind me turning the contacts into a business of my own.

I started out continuing as a different kind of employee of theirs and working under their license and insurance while taking all the exams and building up enough cash reserves to finally cut the ties. I took most of the profits but cut them a generous percentage of the work done for the privilege and had them for back up if needed. Their business name remained on all the contracts so it was a calculated leap of faith on their part I suppose.

When I launched on my own, I did so with their blessings and I always felt there was a solid relationship that lasted until they retired. We sent each other work at times or helped out on restoration projects.

One other thing I gained working this way I did is I had immediate access to all the mentors' subs and a working relationships with most of them by the time on my own. Do you yet have the same? You will need them, especially plumbers, electricians, roofers, masons, concrete finishers and others that do work you cannot or that is just not in your field of expertise.

Now I find myself in a similar situation but have launched most I have mentored that are going on their own now. The time will soon come when I no longer need my licenses.

In addition to license issues, make sure it is time for you to fly solo. Do you have enough moola squirreled away to get you by until firmly established? Is the business you mention solid enough you can count on getting it? Have you explored all the personal and business insurance and bonding issues? Do you have a real sense of what your overhead expenses will be? How are with business skills you will need to run your business successfully?

Last edited by user1007; 06-26-2013 at 11:59 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,238

Start own business

Where are you located?

Self-employment is not for everyone. Be forewarned and if you think there is about "X" in work, figure on "2X" in terms of what it will actually take.

Compliance (taxes, laws, OSHA, employment, etc) are the real stuff that add to the cost of doing the work.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 354

Start own business

In Mass. You will need a Construction Supervisor's License. If you do remodeling you will also need a Home Improvement Contractor's certificate and an up to date Lead Paint certificate. To pull a permit many towns also want to see liability and Workman's Compensation insurance.
If you plan to work in RI you should check with the state licensing commission or whatever you have down there.
Insurance, licensing and continuing education classes are expensive and a pain, but those are just a few of the costs of doing business. Not to mention a good accountant or tax attorney.
Davejss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Start own business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejss View Post
Not to mention a good accountant or tax attorney.
I forget about and take mine for granted. But super advice. But you must find one that understands the business you are in.

And you will need an attorney that should nail you up front for contract construction and review but should never dare ding you for printing out or copying a few pages. Or ten minute phone calls.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Start own business

Are you planning on working in MA or RI (or both)?
CENTERLINE MV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,032

Start own business

in Mass http://www.mass.gov/eopss/consumer-p...r-license.html

Home Improvement Contractor http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/consumer/h...ment-contract/

in Rhode Island check out this site http://www.crb.ri.gov/

good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 274

Start own business

Such kind of information is also helpful for me who is going to set up a new business.
Thanks.

Advertisement

alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote