Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Stanley Vemco Garage door opener repair

I have a Stanley Vemco garage door opener that was installed in 1996, recently after a thunderstorm the door will not close properly, it appears the saftey sensor at the bottom of the door is not working properly. If I hold the door closer button down the door will start to close, when I release the button the door reverses and goes back up. I am looking for a schematic of the circuit that controls the saftey feature, or if anyone has repaired a similar problem, how was it repaired? I could replace the sensors, but I think the circuit that is driving them is the problem. I also know that Stanley no longer supports this product, it appears they dropped the line in 1997.

616Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Stanley Vemco Garage door opener repair

Any time you troubleshoot a powered door, the first thing you should do is disconnect the door from the opener. and see if the door moves freely by hand, then also see if the opener operates without a load on it. If it operates without load, it may be the "down pressure", which should be adjustable. if the door does not move freely, repair tracks or whatever is damaged, then try again.

Try jumping out the wires for the photo eyes, and see if it is the safety beam. I'm not sure if the eye is normally open, or normally closed, so try it with the wires jumped, and then again with the wires capped.

Most likely the board got fried, and it is time for a new unit.

Pearce Services is offline   Reply With Quote