Stairs To Lead Off My Patio Door ??? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stairs to lead off my Patio Door ???

Hi,
After having homeowners insurance on my house for 11 years without any stairs leading from my patio door to the back yard my Insurance Company now states that I have to have these stairs or my policy will cancel

I really don't have the money to pay someone an arm and a leg to build this for me so I found this site and thought I would ask for help.

I only need 2-3 stairs off my patio door. Can anyone tell me how to do this and how much it may cost me?

Thank You

Advertisement

Butterfly64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,212

You also need a three foot wide landing to meet code----I'll find you a link to a similar project.

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,212

Here you go--read this and come back with pictures---New Porch/landing With Balusters & Rails. - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum
Old 08-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

I probably spent $75 to put stairs on the back of our house. Before it was just a rectangular piece of concrete, with no landing. Went and got the risers and the treads at the local Menards, and got 2x2 paver blocks, and also some river rock to place under the stairs for drainage. Again Butterfly64, it is not that hard, nor expensive. If can not afford it, how are you paying for your house & homeowners insurance?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

75 dollars at the end of a month on disability after paying bills and eating is a lot at my house
BigJim (02-27-2012)
Old 08-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
75 dollars at the end of a month on disability after paying bills and eating is a lot at my house
Insurance companies do not care how many bills you have, when it is their concern to try and lower the liability risks of the policy holder. There are churches that will do this work for people, and donate the time & materials by having their men's ministry do it. Our church does this kind of stuff all of the time. Only thing that the person in receipt of the good deed needs to do, is either commit some time back to the church by volunteering either at the church, local shelter they sponsor, or at a food bank, or donate some money back in return if you are able to do so, so they can still help on performing these good deeds.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I probably spent $75 to put stairs on the back of our house. Before it was just a rectangular piece of concrete, with no landing. Went and got the risers and the treads at the local Menards, and got 2x2 paver blocks, and also some river rock to place under the stairs for drainage. Again Butterfly64, it is not that hard, nor expensive. If can not afford it, how are you paying for your house & homeowners insurance?
Greg could you post a photo of your finished steps?
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,206

Can't you just block off the patio door? Lots of new houses have them blocked because a deck was an option the purchaser didn't choose.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
Greg could you post a photo of your finished steps?
All that I did, was go to our local Menards, and get pre-cut pressure treated two step stringers since that was all we needed out our back door, was two steps to get down to ground level, pressure treated steps, and used the old concrete step as the footer, which has river rock over the top to bring to grade. If I recall, we used about six bags of rock to fill the hole, so that water would not pool below, and drain.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You also need a three foot wide landing to meet code----I'll find you a link to a similar project.
Only if it is over 2 steps.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 780

Insurance company has concluded they have made their money from you and want to get rid of you before the law of averages catch up. Nationwide tried that with me.
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 528

I had my insurance company make me build temporary steps from a back door to my house to keep my insurance, even though I was taking the door out.

It shouldn't cost that much to do so...
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
All that I did, was go to our local Menards, and get pre-cut pressure treated two step stringers since that was all we needed out our back door, was two steps to get down to ground level, pressure treated steps, and used the old concrete step as the footer, which has river rock over the top to bring to grade. If I recall, we used about six bags of rock to fill the hole, so that water would not pool below, and drain.
OK thats what I wanted to see. What you used as a footer. But that explains it.

Advertisement

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote