Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #1

Share |

Stair Tread And Riser Installation

I am replacing the carpet covered stairs in my split level house - tired of falling down them. The original builder nailed 2x2 's to the end of some 2x10's for treads and plywood for risers. After 25 years the nailed 2x2's tilted down and were not safe.

Using prefab red oak treads (Home Depot), solid red oak risers and skirt boards. I have re cut the stringers (3 of them) and have them installed. They are now straight and level.

My questions are...

How do I attach the treads and risers to the stringers?

With the advancement in wood adhesives,

Would it be acceptable to Liquid Nail them in place, anywhere wood meets wood to avoid squeeks, put a few trim nails in them to hold them in place until the Liquid Nail set up?

I am trying to avoid drilling holes in the stairs and seeing the plugs when done. I also want to do it right. I have looked at many pics of stairs on the web but you can't always see everything in a pic.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Speckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Advice worth 2 cents!

I'm not a pro but...here's a few thoughts.

I don't think using only glue is going to work and you can be d%@m sure quality homes are only built using time-proven methods and materials.

That said, the right adhesive is going to make a world of difference in the final result of your stairs. I'd recommend using a solvent based construction adhesive like Lumberlock on every joining surface. These types (unlike the urethanes eg. PL-premium) will remain flexible over a lot of years.

So, the screws holds it all in place and the adhesive stops the squeeks!

Old 11-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

The risers shouldn't squeak.
Installed properly using nails, treads shouldn't squeak either.
General installation practice is to use just the nails. 15g should work. Use color matched nail putty. The holes should be nearly invisible.

Now, on the other hand, if the stair stringers are poorly cut, you may want to square these off, or sister them square - before you install any new risers or treads.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:33 AM   #4

working from the top down you can screw treads from under neath,the risers coulb be screwed fom bottom which tread will cover holes and sides on angle.
Tuff is offline   Reply With Quote