Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2007, 01:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Staining a garage floor?

Hi all,
I want to stain my garage floor a brown color and then seal it with a glossy concrete seal. The floor is a little over two years old and has no oil stains so cleaning it for the staining shouldn’t be too hard. Is staining something a beginner could do? Can stained concrete be sealed with a normal sealer or is there some other step involved? I also thought about the Epoxy paint kits but after seeing what people say about those I decided not to do that. Has anyone here stained and sealed a garage floor? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Ledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
Agent 000

Staining a garage floor?

Staining is essentially as easy as painting if the correct steps are taken in preparation. The concrete surface has to be clean and have enough "tooth" for the stain to adhere to. If the floor is glossy smooth then an acid etch will be necessary. Muriatic acid (the stuff used to correct the ph in swimming pools) is generally the acid of choice for the job. It's not as treacherous as it sounds if you just take some simple precautions such as wearing the correct safety gear and not allow the solution (1 part acid: 20 parts water) get into contact with any metal. A power wash is prefered to clean things up afterward, but a strong hosing will suffice as well. I've used H&C stain from Sherwin Williams and have had good success. There are also many other good products out there as well. They also have a sealer that is applied prior to the stain. Whatever product you choose, it should have detailed instructions on the preparation and application of the stain. Good luck and happy staining.

SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:48 AM   #3

Staining a garage floor?

SecretSquirrell, does that make oil stains clean up real well? How easy? Keeps the oil in beads basically right off the surface? I spill far too much oil on my garage floor and getting tired of CLRing it.
timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:33 AM   #4
Agent 000

Staining a garage floor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
SecretSquirrell, does that make oil stains clean up real well? How easy? Keeps the oil in beads basically right off the surface? I spill far too much oil on my garage floor and getting tired of CLRing it.
The H&C Stain is oil resistant. They also suggest the Ultra Plus Clear for extra durability. I can't say from a consumers point of view as to whether oil spills will bead up or not but you may find some additional information on their web site as to the effectiveness of the product or perhaps an alternate product that will meet your requirements. My application of the product was in a pump house where oil is not present.

Last edited by SecretSquirrel; 07-10-2007 at 11:35 AM.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #5

Staining a garage floor?

That stain is a translucent paint, basically. Another alternative is acid stain, which is applied differently, and then sealed. As a rule, either is as good as the other, provied both are sealed.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #6

Staining a garage floor?

Thanks Secret Squirrell, I'm gonna look into this more.

timmy is offline   Reply With Quote