Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #1

Share |

Spray foam degradation

Is anyone aware of any studies regarding the expected life of expanding foam insulation? I was doing some renovation and found some rigid insulation that just crumbled apart when you touched it.

Timberwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #2

Spray foam degradation

i think over time the foams do lose a little r value.Ithink you found some old urea formaldehyde foam that does degrade over time

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:51 AM   #3

Spray foam degradation

i've had some insulation foam crumble apart after 2 years.
@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #4

Spray foam degradation

The modern spray-in foams such as Icynene are long-term products that will last the lifetime of the home. These foams are not as rigid as DowBoard, etc...They have a little flex to them. I would not anticipate any degradation or any significant loss in R-value. Even if some R-value was lost, you're still way ahead of any other insulation on the market.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #5

Spray foam degradation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwright View Post
Is anyone aware of any studies regarding the expected life of expanding foam insulation? I was doing some renovation and found some rigid insulation that just crumbled apart when you touched it.
There's a difference between spray foam and rigid insulation. I've come across some board insulation that crumbled too; I'll bet it even would crumble when it was installed new.
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #6

Spray foam degradation

I used some DAP sprayfoam to seal a gap on the house, running along the bottom of the siding. It crumbled into powder a few weeks later when I tried to pull a piece of it out. But, it was very cold outside when I sprayed it and I'm assuming that's why it crumbled. It did expand and set-up though.

One thing about the spray foam that I didn't see on the can is that you can't use it on surfaces that will reach 240 degrees F. I thought the Great Stuff Fire-Blocker would be alright to fill a penetration in the attic floor between the hot water heater exhaust pipe and the wood/drywall around it. I thought if it's a fire blocker, it can handle high heat. I used it for that and a few days later found out it can't be used on hot surfaces either. I was up there last night cutting it away from that hot pipe, the foam has been around the pipe for about 3 weeks or so. The foam that was directly in contact with the pipe was melted and looked like orange hard-candy. I had to use a metal putty knife to pry it off. The foam about 1/2" out from the pipe looked normal.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #7

Spray foam degradation

the spray foam in a can is not supposed to be exposed to UV, that will degrade it fairly quick

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote