Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

splitting heat in multi unit house

I own a three story multi-unit house. The first floor is one unit and the second/third floor is another unit.

I currently have the electricty split but not the heat. The first floor unit is roughly 700 square feet while the upstairs unit is around 1200.

I was wondering what options I had for splitting the heat. Preferably the least expesive option Also if there is an option that I could possible perform myself to save some costs that would be great. I would consider myself somewhat of a handy man.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

wfmrules3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

Legally you can not split electricity, that is a different tale, nor can you legally split heat if forced air. If on a boiler (ie water or steam), better to zone the system out between units.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #3

maybe I am using the incorrect terminology. The goal of "splitting" the heat out is so that each unit will pay for their own heat.

I have three electical boxes. One for 1st floor unit, one for the upstairs unit, and one for foyer and outside lights.

I was thinking maybe I could seal off all the vents on the first floor and add some type of electric heating source.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

As long as each unit has their own panel with a main breaker, splitting electric is fine. I assume that each unit has their own meter and pays their own bill. If the electrical services are heavy enough, you could close off the vents and add resistance heat with individual thermostats for each room. What will you do for the 2nd floor unit?

Last edited by Maintenance 6; 11-07-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #5

I was thinking the 2nd floor unit can just use the furnace I have now. I would just block off the 1st floor vents. Is that possible?

What is resistance heat?
Old 11-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Electrical resistance heat. http://www.globalindustrial.com/c/hv...FYSK4Aodr1KZ2w
If the current hot air system is designed to simultaneously heat both floors, then blocking off all the air to one floor is going to cause a lot of balance and air flow issues. A large portion of the air that once went to the first floor will be howling out of the ducts on the second floor. That will make for an unhappy occupant.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #7

okay, that makes sense. So what options do I have?
Old 11-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Minisplits, hvac units on each floor would be better.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #9

Is that the only viable option?

How much would that cost? Would I use the existing vents? Would the furnace I have now be used at all?
Old 11-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

The furnace you have now, may not be able to be used if making the building into apartments. It would probably be over sized, once you start doing the Manual J & Manual D calculations.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #11

So that is the only option?

Would it be cheaper to buy one furnace for the bigger unit then close off the vents in the smaller unit and get a different heating source?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Yes, legal solution. Think of it this way. If there was ever a fire in one of the units, allowing common ducting, that are not fire rated or have automatic dampers on them, controlled by an alarm panel, to transport CO & fire to other units, is not only dangerous, but illegal in mufti-tenant dwellings.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #13

any ideas on the cost to do this?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmrules3 View Post
any ideas on the cost to do this?
Not something that is discussed on this forum. Costs can be anything, depending on what all you need to do.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,000

You should discuss this heating issue with the local HVAC guys in your area for estimates on the conversion. They will do an onsite evaluation which can't be done remotely.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote