Special Door Lock For Gates? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Special Door Lock for gates?

I want to replace a lock for a wrought iron gate.

The bolt mechanism is that of a standard door, triangular wedge that retracts when u close the door. But there are no handles, rather it has faces more like a deadbolt. Key-only on the outside, and a turn lever on the inside.

I want to replace as is since I like the convenience of being able to close the door behind me when i leave instead of having to lock the deadbolt.

I am having trouble finding a replacement for this at the big box stores. In fact, I don't even know what this type of lock is appropriately called. Big box stores only has knobs (hallway/bath, bedrm, keyed entry) or deadbolt. None of which can mix the bolt mechanism of the knob-type locks, with the "handles" of a deadbolt.

Advertisement

acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Post a photo of what you have and some info on the lock.
Is it a 2 3/8" setback from the edge?
Is the hole in the door 1 1/2" or 2 1/8" or something else?

Advertisement

Last edited by Ron6519; 09-27-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerunner View Post

I am having trouble finding a replacement for this at the big box stores. In fact, I don't even know what this type of lock is appropriately called. Big box stores only has knobs (hallway/bath, bedrm, keyed entry) or deadbolt. None of which can mix the bolt mechanism of the knob-type locks, with the "handles" of a deadbolt.
If you want something that looks like what you have now, but automatically always locks behind you, and has a turn knob on the inside, do a google search for a " gate nightlatch ". I believe that might be what you are after. It's basically a single cylinder deadbolt that utilizes an entry style backset

EDIT:

i just looked and found this by googling the term above http://absupply.net/gate-cgl220-latc...linder-33.aspx This sounds like what you are after

Last edited by Mr Chips; 09-27-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I believe he is referring to a mortise lock like this

We use this type when we fabricate a steel gate or door. The lock would be incased in a steel tube that we fabricate for the lock to fit or a steel box welded to gate/door.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips

If you want something that looks like what you have now, but automatically always locks behind you, and has a turn knob on the inside, do a google search for a " gate nightlatch ". I believe that might be what you are after. It's basically a single cylinder deadbolt that utilizes an entry style backset

EDIT:

i just looked and found this by googling the term above http://absupply.net/gate-cgl220-latc...linder-33.aspx This sounds like what you are after
Yes, that's exactly what I have. Gate night latch. thanks
acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote