DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Special Door Lock for gates?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  acerunner 
#1 ·
I want to replace a lock for a wrought iron gate.

The bolt mechanism is that of a standard door, triangular wedge that retracts when u close the door. But there are no handles, rather it has faces more like a deadbolt. Key-only on the outside, and a turn lever on the inside.

I want to replace as is since I like the convenience of being able to close the door behind me when i leave instead of having to lock the deadbolt.

I am having trouble finding a replacement for this at the big box stores. In fact, I don't even know what this type of lock is appropriately called. Big box stores only has knobs (hallway/bath, bedrm, keyed entry) or deadbolt. None of which can mix the bolt mechanism of the knob-type locks, with the "handles" of a deadbolt.

#3 · (Edited)
I am having trouble finding a replacement for this at the big box stores. In fact, I don't even know what this type of lock is appropriately called. Big box stores only has knobs (hallway/bath, bedrm, keyed entry) or deadbolt. None of which can mix the bolt mechanism of the knob-type locks, with the "handles" of a deadbolt.
If you want something that looks like what you have now, but automatically always locks behind you, and has a turn knob on the inside, do a google search for a " gate nightlatch ". I believe that might be what you are after. It's basically a single cylinder deadbolt that utilizes an entry style backset

EDIT:

i just looked and found this by googling the term above http://absupply.net/gate-cgl220-latch-deadbolt-single-cylinder-33.aspx This sounds like what you are after

#5 ·
Mr Chips said:
If you want something that looks like what you have now, but automatically always locks behind you, and has a turn knob on the inside, do a google search for a " gate nightlatch ". I believe that might be what you are after. It's basically a single cylinder deadbolt that utilizes an entry style backset

EDIT:

i just looked and found this by googling the term above http://absupply.net/gate-cgl220-latch-deadbolt-single-cylinder-33.aspx This sounds like what you are after
Yes, that's exactly what I have. Gate night latch. thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.