Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Speaking of mold...

Is anyone aware of a way of killing mold short of an ozone generator?

Timberwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Speaking of mold...

bleach works fine. If you are talking about spores in the air, not that I know of. They are all around us all the time.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Speaking of mold...

Bill, it turns out that bleach does not kill mold. I was shocked when I learned that. It takes care of the black stain and nothing more.
Timberwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Speaking of mold...

I don't know who told you bleach doesn't kill mold, but they need to go back to mold school. A 2.4% concentration of sodium hypochlorite (the active ingrediant in bleach) will not only kill mold, but will break down all of it into it's base protiens. That is from published research conducted by The University of Arizona, Environmental Research Laboratory, Tucson, AZ. Tests were conducted in both lab settings and in real world applications. A 5 to 10 minute exposure was all that was needed. In fact it is ozone which is not very effective in real world situations. Where ozone can be directly applied to mold it will kill it. Unfortunately, it is rare that it can be effectively applied in a real world situation. Use a 10% bleach solution. It WILL kill mold.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

Speaking of mold...

There have been enough studies I have read to convince me bleach is not the cure-all way of removing mold. THAT'S MY OPINION. If you think bleach kills it, go right ahead.

The only sure way to get rid of mold is to remove and replace the material it's on. Problem 100% solved.

I find it curious that the EPA mentions nothing about using bleach as a remediation method:
http://www.epa.gov/mold/table2.html

I'm not trying to start an argument, just giving an alternate perspective.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Speaking of mold...

No the EPA doesn't on their website, but that is the same EPA that recommended it for clean up after hurricane Katrina. One of the reasons they don't is because of the potential for injury because of mis-use. All it takes is 10%. Plenty of people out there are using it straight or with lower dilution levels, which is dangerous to ones health. Used without proper dilution, it can cause some formation of chloroform compounds and other nasty things that you don't want to be breathing. Another is because there are other things that are effective. Almost any good cleaner will kill mold, including dishwashing liquid. Bleach is one of the few that will break down molds to their base components. Look at some of the active ingredients in household cleaners that advertise mold killing capabilities. Most contain sodium hypochlorite (bleach). Bleach isn't a cure all, but for most small household clean ups it will work. Things like drywall and other porous organic materials should just be replaced. Things that have surface mold can be cleaned with bleach solution.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote