Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #1

Share |

Speaker Shelving

I'd like to know how to build a pair of shelves, either out of wood, metal or glass that will be able to safely support audio speakers. These speakers weigh about 35 pounds each. I have to mount the shelves on drywall and I really don't want the speakers or the shelves to fall off the wall or to rip out the drywall. The speakers are 14 7/8" tall, 8" 5/8 wide and 15 1/4" deep. I would also like to know if there are any suggestions as to keeping the speakers from vibrating off of the shelves other than using an adhesive velcro product. The wall area for mounting the shelves is only about 18" wide on either side of the television.

Jake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #2

Speaker Shelving

Cut a board the spans the opening and mount two wall brackets that are designed to support the weight. You can put rubber feet on the speaker bottoms as well as attaching a decorative edge to the shelf front that is wider then the board, creating a lip on the shelf front.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #3

Speaker Shelving

I don't know if I'd worry about the speakers vibrating off the wall unless you were pumping some serious juice through them. I have basically the same setup you are describing, and the speakers are actually lying on their side due to the height of the internal shelves. They've never moved.
ClumsyCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote