Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #1

Share |

spacing out mosiac tile so it matches the depth of the other tile

Hello,

I am currently tiling my bathroom. I am tiling up about 4 1/2 feet from the floor and then putting a "fancy" mosaic tile row and then above that more tile. The problem is that the tile butting up to the mosaic tile is quite a bit thicker than the mosaic tile. I would like to space this mosiac tile a little bit out from the wall but don't really know the best way. I need it to be about 3/16th of an inch out from the wall.

I thought about buying some thin plywood and putting that on the wall but for some reason that doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I fear that the wood will eventually absorb water and possibly cause problems.

My other thought is to put a layer of thinset in the space and build it up about 3/16 of an inch or so. Then put the tile over that after it dries. I don't know how easy that would be to keep everything level and a consistent though. I thought about taking my 3/16th inch trowel and putting a layer of thinset on with that and letting it dry. Then I would know it would be somewhere close to 3/16th inches high. Then after that dries go in and fill in the v notches with more thinset. That way I know it should be pretty close to 3/16th of an inch.

Is there anything they sell to help with this problem? right now my thought is I will try the thinset but that will take a while and I don't even know if it will work.

Any other suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

chutch76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #2

spacing out mosiac tile so it matches the depth of the other tile

How wide of a strip of Mosaic are you planning on installing? I'm thinking that maybe instead of wood you could use a strip of the PVC molding they make that most of the big-box stores stock. I never really looked at what sizes they make but that's certainly something you wouldn't have to worry about deteriorating over time. It's paintable so I'm thinking that if paint sticks to it thinset should also stick quite well.

Building it up with thinset is probably the way a professional tile setter would do it but like you I'm a little worried that I wouldn't get it level and it would look terrible in the end.

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote