DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Space between wall and floorboard

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  123pugsy 
#1 ·
I put up some floor boards and there is a gap between the wall and the board. Just wondering if this is common and what to use to fill the gap.

Should I use caulking or is mud to fill it in? I'm thinking about using caulking but if that get dirty, i think it tough to clean. This is in a small bathroom. And I did the drywalling so I'm the reason its not sitting flush.

#2 ·
I put up some floor boards and there is a gap between the wall and the board. Just wondering if this is common and what to use to fill the gap.

Should I use caulking or is mud to fill it in? I'm thinking about using caulking but if that get dirty, i think it tough to clean. This is in a small bathroom. And I did the drywalling so I'm the reason its not sitting flush.
Why wouldn't you use a standard "baseboard" material?

"Mud"? What kind of "mud" are you talking about?

#7 ·
Not even sure what you mean by "floor boards", you mean you laid a new floor?
Drywall should be 1/2" up off of the floor because floors are almost never level and any direct contact with the floor can cause wicking up of moisture when the floor is cleaned.
Baseboard and 1/4 round cover up the gap. Drywall compounds never used to fill that gap!
Posting a picture is always a big help.

#8 ·
Sorry for the confusion guys. I was trying to write a post quick at work and didn't properly explain myself. There are no floorboards. I meant baseboards. And the gap I am talking about is on the top of the baseboard between the board and the wall. Example: Top of baseboard isn't touching the wall.

#10 · (Edited)
Where the two pieces of baseboard trim meet at miters or splices, and nail holes, use wood putty. fill the miter joint, nail hole, etc., with the wood putty then with a damp rag wipe off any excess. This limits or eliminates the need for sanding.
As Bud Cline said, " Caulk it."
Caulk jobs are only as good as you can finger it...........

Here is a good example for using the proper terminology or a picture.

#11 ·
Before you do anything, ask youself how will I paint that? If you fill our caulk or whatever, whow will you make the demarcation between wall and caulk? As I sit here in my living room now looking at the baseboard, I can't tell if it is tight to the wall or not. But I can see that there is no paint lapping one way or the other. Ron's.

#13 ·
Caulk. The size of the gap is fine for caulk. Paint it. If you don't, it will look fantastic now, but in a year the soft caulk will get very dirty. If you paint it, it will be slick and dirt and dust will come right off. Freehand it if you're a decent painter, or use tape for a clean line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.